Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
High-temperature superconductors (HTS) have reached commercial maturity and present an opportunity to change the way superconducting magnets are built and used. These magnets are the key technology for building a fusion power plant that will revolutionize clean energy production for the world. CFS is scaling up its internal production and is hiring a Manufacturing Engineering Manager to lead the team developing the manufacturing processes and future factory for these magnets. This team member will:
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Own process development of the manufacturing line for HTS magnets from initial low-volume R&D to full-scale production
- Develop and qualify manufacturing processes and equipment for new product introduction, including project management of schedule and budget
- Project manage the future factory expansion, including capital equipment and floor layouts, with a diverse team of manufacturing engineers, R&D engineers, facilities, EHS, and external contractors
- Develop business processes and train the manufacturing team on lean manufacturing principles, process flow maps, work instructions, and nonconformance management
- Implement DFM (design for manufacturability) and PFMEA (process failure mode and effects analysis) methodology and statistical process controls to set up a reliable, low defect manufacturing line
- Influence make vs. buy decisions and work with external vendors to augment internal capabilities
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to manufacturing engineers
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field is required
- 10+ years’ experience in manufacturing engineering of large electromechanical assemblies. Experience with magnets, thermo-mechanical assemblies, machining, welding, and/or VPI (vacuum pressure impregnation) is preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in people management & leadership roles
- Experience taking products from R&D into production, including developing manufacturing techniques to transition from manual to automated processes
- Experience with large-scale facilities & production line design, construction, and commissioning
- Strong leadership and project management skills working across a cross-functional team
- Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt or equivalent experience
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent problem-solving skills
- A can-do attitude and an eagerness to learn
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
New Product Development
Design For Manufacturability (Industrial Design)