The role is a senior position within a team managing a £2bn portfolio of road improvement projects for the region. Whether it's a building a half billion-pound road upgrade, delivering a package of environmental enhancements or taking responsibility for several £100m+ schemes, you'll be improving the region's road infrastructure, economy, environment and making our roads safer. We will expect you to help us deliver these projects to world class standards, keeping the needs of our stakeholders and customers in mind, and be able to operate in a complex environment, delivering high quality work to tight timescales.
You will be part of the regional senior leadership team, representing the region as well as its projects and programmes at Major Projects Executive and Board meetings as required, and in meetings with senior external stakeholders.
Your 'home' office will be in Bristol or Exeter but we work flexibly and trust our people to manage their time and whereabouts to hit the best balance between home and work life. Travel, nationally and to our regional sites and stakeholders will be required. You will add value by providing leadership to the team, driving business change and managing key stakeholder relationships.
What you'll be leading on
- You will be responsible for working alongside the Project Sponsors to address the requirements of the Roads Investment Strategy and Delivery Plan in each year of the programme
- You will be expected to predict and plan for activities, ensuring that the resources are in place to cope with this volume of work in both Highways England's organisation and in the supply chain
- You will support efforts to continuously build resource capacity and capability across the region, in support of the Regional Delivery Director
- You will be accountable for identifying and delivering schedule and budget opportunities, working closely with the Programme Commercial Director and the Project Sponsors
- As a member of the senior management team you will take a regional delivery team lead role on one or more imperatives. Examples could be on-site safety, supplier collaboration, procurement or stakeholder communications.
To be successful
- You must be able to demonstrate significant experience in the management of large-scale capital projects, preferably but not necessarily in infrastructure sectors such as highways, rail, utilities, defence or aviation
- You will be able to show how, through your leadership and involvement, the schemes for which you have been responsible have achieved their principal objectives and outcomes
- Experience in, and knowledge of, the UK highways sector would be ideal but experience gained in related sectors is also likely to be relevant provided you can show how you have delivered tangible results in a project or programme environment
- Experience of working with extensive supply chains of professional and technical service providers or product manufacturers and show that you can work collaboratively in a multi-professional environment
- You will generally have good commercial and organisational skills and are likely to have significant experience in dealing with public and private sector stakeholders, quite possibly in a challenging environment
A bit about us
Regional Investment Programme, part of Highways England's Major Projects Division, is responsible for delivering around 80 schemes worth in excess of £15bn that will enable economic growth and improve effectiveness of the strategic road network. These schemes and our mission is encompassed in the Road Investment Strategy 2 (RIS2) document that outlines our fully funded programme to 2025. We've stepped away from transactional project-based approaches to introduce portfolio management and regional accountability.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.