Requisition ID # 87164
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Generation
PG&E’s Power Generation Department manages and operates the largest privately-owned hydroelectric system in the nation. These renewable electric generation resources, located mostly at high elevation in California mountain ranges including the Sierra Nevada and southern Cascade mountains include 68 powerhouses, 184 miles of canals, 41 miles of flumes, 135 miles of tunnels, 19 miles of penstocks, 99 reservoirs, and 142,000 acres of watershed lands all covered by 26 operating licenses issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
This is a journey-level Project Engineer job that requires mastery of the Associate level Project Engineer skills and duties and provides complete engineering & design, project management, and technical support to O&M staff for a wide range of moderately complex issues and multiple medium to large capital and expense improvements to power generation and infrastructure facilities. The position requires a comprehensive knowledge of job functions and proficiency in applying sound engineering and project management principals; recognition as a professionally licensed engineer; a working knowledge of industry practices, standards, and equipment; ability to develop and implement all aspects of multiple assigned projects; use of independent judgment; enhanced verbal and written communication skills; and ability to work with minimal supervision. Job duties will vary by assignment. Responsibilities may include Privileged and Confidential work.
- Approves and stamps technical reports, specifications, new drawings, and revisions to existing drawings for projects.
- Controls scope, schedule, cost, and quality of designs and projects throughout project life cycle; including coordinating related activities of all project internal & external stakeholders.
- Identifies gaps between current business practices and stated objectives and provides recommendations for process improvements to address gaps.
- Interprets and applies applicable codes and regulations.
- Leads design and/or project management efforts for moderately complex generation projects that can be discipline specific, multi-discipline, or programmatic in nature.
- Performs and/or reviews engineering analyses and studies, detailed scope, viable alternatives, conceptual designs, and recommended fixes to ensure safe/reliable operation of generation assets.
- Provides broad and in-depth technical support to O&M as needed including incident investigation and development of corrective actions.
- Reviews consultant contracts for technical compliance.
- Solicits, prepares, and evaluates contracts and proposals, collaboratively with supervisor and Project Manager, including EPC from engineering and/or project management consultants, equipment vendors, and construction firms, and directs resulting work.
- Works with supervisors and others to represent PG&E to internal and external organizations as required.
- Manages multiple moderately complex issues and projects and resolves problems of moderate scope, requiring standard solutions, but may include a moderate level of innovation.
- Supports more experienced engineers and project managers on more complex and large scope projects.
- 4-year BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- Current and active California PE-Professional Engineer license
- Mastery of the Associate level Project Engineer job duties and demonstrated leadership, knowledge, and ability to perform the job duties of the Journey level Project Engineer. Meets specific technical requirements gained through a minimum of three years of cumulative experience in project engineering, design, and construction.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- California Professional Engineer License (PE) in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- PMP-Project Management Professional certification
- Knowledge of power generating facility systems, structures, components, principles, and theories as needed to perform at the job level.
- Knowledge of electrical components such as generators, relays, transformers, wiring, governors, and data acquisition systems
- Knowledge of mechanical components such as turbines, bearings, valves, pumps.
- Knowledge of welding
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Competency in building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Competency in making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Competency in providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done
- Competency in holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Skill in negotiating between stakeholders to reach an agreement
- Competency in making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Competency in using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others
- Competency in planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Competency in actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
- Competency in developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization goals
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance terminology, processes, and procedures as needed to perform at the job level
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local construction codes and standards as needed to perform at the job level
- Skill in making recommendations based on relevant expertise as needed to perform at the job level
- Ability to prepare, maintain, and develop documents as needed to perform at the job level
- Ability to read and understand information presented in graphics, maps, schematics, or diagrams as needed to perform at the job level
- Ability to apply project management theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level
- Knowledge of project management theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level
Hardworking And Dedicated
Process Improvements (Business)