At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That’s right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that’s proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered “yes,” then read on! below.”
'The company is actively seeking United States military veterans and service members who meet the qualifications outlined
Dominion Energy’s Power Delivery Group is seeking a motivated and experienced Senior Planning Engineer to be part of the Electric Transmission Planning team. This team of engineers are responsible for assessing and developing transmission expansion plans to ensure system reliability in compliance with relevant NERC Reliability Standards, to support future customer demands, and to successfully defend the Dominion Energy franchise during competitive FERC Order 1000 open window processes.
The selected candidate will join the Electric Transmission Planning team within Power Delivery – Electric Transmission as a Senior Engineer (Engineer III) and function primarily as an Application Engineer supporting automation & tool development for Electric Transmission Planning team and work closely with other cross-functional team within Electric Transmission to promote software development for defining and launching technology and data solutions that drive innovation and create industry-leading capabilities to advance the overall vision of Dominion Energy. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsibilities related to the end-to-end management and functional enhancements of reliability assessment tools used for various types of reliability analyses, visualization of analysis results and working with multiple time-series data platforms and various relational database systems.
- Development, maintenance, and utilization of a comprehensive set of production software tools to facilitate planning engineering activities.
- Develop and maintain short circuit and power flow planning models, including the development of Model on Demand project files, contingency file updates, facility rating updates, short circuit change files, and facility impedance updates.
- Oversight of additional business processes that support data integration initiatives across Power Delivery.
- Architecting, developing, and maintaining engineering tools and automation for streamlining business processes within Electric Transmission Planning department.
- Documentation of development processes, planning procedures, and application version histories.
- Collaboration with team members for generating ideas for software innovation based on industry trend and business needs.
- A strong focus on end-user/customer engagement and support within Power Delivery is critical to successful execution of the job functions.
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
An Engineer III is the top progression level position in the engineer series. The responsibilities of such engineer include to serve as an senior technical expert engineer, able to perform difficult and complex work requiring thorough knowledge of the subject matter and significant experience within functional assignment area. Schedules and coordinates major segments of complex projects to meet cost and time objectives. Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Devises new approaches to problems encountered and develops engineering criteria ensuring compliance with design criteria and standards. At higher levels of proficiency within this classification, incumbents are expected to provide technical expertise and/or team leadership as needed. May be required to apply intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices to major projects that have significant impact on programs in varied areas and related fields. May serve as a technical expert on engineering related legal and regulatory issues to outside entities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
The knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences required for entry into this job include the following:
5+ years of relevant engineering experience OR Five years of research engineering work experience on directly related projects for the electric utility industry. Work on such projects may be accomplished as part of an Electrical Engineering PhD program on its own or in combination with additional research engineering work experience on directly related projects for the electric utility industry.
*(A partial year of related work experience of 6 months or greater will be considered one year towards the qualifications) Upcoming engineering PhD graduates with a projected graduation date of no later than May 31st, 2022 who also meet the engineering criteria (see education requirements) will be considered.
- Full knowledge of engineering theories and principles.
- Skilled in use of advanced techniques and modification and extension of theories, precepts and practices of the field and related sciences and disciplines.
- Experience with power system analysis software packages such as PSS/E, Power Gem’s TARA software, Aspen One-Liner, Transmission Operations Energy Management System (EMS), etc., is preferred.
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to serve as team project lead. Provide guidance to less experienced engineers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (includes technical writing).
- Strong personal computer skills.
- Ability to think analytically and solve complex problems.
- Ability to interpret codes, regulations, and practices.
- In depth knowledge of various computer applications, with the ability to manipulate personal computer applications and perform engineering calculations using applicable software programs (e.g. Matlab, Excel, etc.).
- High degree of proficiency in Python, C#/.NET, and SQL or comparable technologies.
- Demonstrated capability of moving easily between programming languages and technology paradigms.
- Experience developing large scale software systems and tools.
- Experience with Agile/Lean methodologies for project management.
- Understanding of contemporary relational and time-series database technologies.
- Equally effective working independently or in team environment.
- Proven decision-making skills.
- Ability to process information quickly and effectively manage multiple tasks.
- Strong planning, organizational and project management skills.
- Strong abstract thinking and problem-solving capabilities.
- Capable of dealing with and executing under ambiguity.
- Comfortable communicating with engineers, customers, and executives, alike.
- Excels at self-education and quickly adopting new skills and knowledge.
- To military applicants: military service members and veterans with ranks from E5-E9, W1-CW5, or O3-O6, plus appropriate equivalent combination of education and years of experience as outlined (above/below).
Required: Bachelor's degree in Engineering
*Upcoming engineering PhD graduates with a projected graduation date of no later than December 31st, 2021 who also meet the engineering criteria (see education requirements) will be considered.
REQUIRED ENGINEERING CRITERIA:
For placement of a candidate in the Engineer job series, the following criteria must be met:
Licenses, Certifications, or Quals DescriptionWorking Conditions
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program based on the year that the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an institution outside of the U.S. which is accredited through the country's own engineering accrediting body under the Washington Accord as a full signatory, and is a degree that was recognized by the country's accrediting body on or after the date that full signatory status was achieved, or
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from a non-ABET accredited program and a postgraduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Possess a 4-year degree in Physics, Chemistry, Math or Engineering Technology and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Holds or has previously held a valid U.S. Professional Engineer license.
Cold Up to 25%Energized Wires Up to 25%Heat Up to 25%Loud Noise Up to 25%Office Work Environment 76 -100%Operating Machinery Up to 25%Outdoors Up to 25%Radiation Up to 25%Travel Up to 25%Other Working ConditionsTest Description
No Testing Required
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here [ Link removed ]
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
- .Net Framework
- Agile Methodology
- Business Processes
- Business Requirements
- C Sharp (Programming Language)