Jacobs is currently recruiting for a Project Engineering Manager with extensive experience in the nuclear industry to join our Decommissioning business. This role will be based in our Birchwood office in the North West of the UK but there will be a need for periodic visits to client sites, as projects require.
The Decommissioning business provides a mixture of high added value consultancy, engineering and project management support, and delivery of EPC projects, to major clients in the UK and Overseas across both the civil nuclear and defence industries, including Dounreay, Sellafield Limited, Urenco and Magnox. We are proud to have supported these clients for many years, and our partnering arrangements will enable us to sustain and enhance this support in the long-term. We also deliver a number of projects for other private companies and academia needing decommissioning solutions.
The successful candidate will have proven capability to lead, coordinate and direct a multi-discipline engineering team to deliver complex engineering solutions against demanding milestones for one or more projects. Innovative design is a key component in many of the required design solutions, but this must be supported by sound quality assurance with auditable engineering governance.
Assignment of staff to tasks will be a key requirement, and an understanding of the SQEP capabilities of individuals in the team and their development needs are a prerequisite to success. This will be coupled with assuring high quality output for the engineering on the project. Additionally the role will support the Project Manager with respect to costs and schedule.
The project responsibilities will be varied and challenging throughout the project lifecycle, including definition of technical aspects in bidding strategies, through design and implementation in to delivery of commissioned systems ready to support the decommissioning challenge.
• Degree qualified (or equivalent experience) in an appropriate engineering discipline
• Member of a professional institute and chartership preferred
• Significant experience in engineering delivery
• Proven experience managing a multi-discipline, engineering team
• Decommissioning focused
• Experience of EPC delivery
• Development of technical strategy
• Ability to work with people at all levels – including Client and Suppliers
• Good communicator – as part of delivery, governance and team development
• Ability to work as member of a team
• Capable of working on own initiative
• Flexible to meet the needs of project milestones
• Confident and assertive
Systems Development Life Cycle