At NRG, we’re bringing the power of energy to people and organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice, working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is available at [ Link removed ] . Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Direct and manage the engineering activities (mainly through consulting A/E firms) for major utility-scale generation projects (including conventional, Energy Storage and renewable), major environmental control projects, and plant improvement projects. Provide electrical expertise support to all DE&C projects as well as manage all high voltage interconnection processes with transmission Owners
- Directs preliminary project engineering and develops schedule & cost estimates for major utility power plant projects or major plant upgrade projects complying with NRG Project Manual. The work is mainly performed by 3rd party consulting Architect/Engineering firms.
- Develops overall project plan to meet the project objectives, schedule, and budget.
- Manages the consulting A/E firm multi-discipline team to perform the appropriate level of engineering activities to develop investment-grade project estimates for presentation to NRG Sr. Management & Board of Directors for project approval.
- Engages internal NRG resources in a team environment to support the project engineering activities, including project controls, environmental, supply chain, operations etc.
- Supports and resolves project technical issues that arise during the execution/construction phase of the project.
- Prepare project status reports to communicate to E&C senior management the project's overall progress and identify major issues and mitigation/recovery plan.
- Identify major issues and mitigation/recovery plan.
- Technical resources to other NRG project managers to support and resolve project electrical issues.
- Manages and coordinates project high voltage interconnection application activities, including electrical equipment sizing such as transformers & breakers and ensuring equipment characteristics support Transmission Owner technical requirements.
- Mentor developing staff members such that development and maturation is defined and visible
- Support VP-Engineering, VP-Generation Project Construction, and VP-Environmental Compliance and Plant Improvement Projects in scoping and planning new EPC projects
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- 10 years of practical utility scale major projects or related heavy industrial industries experience (> $50M).
- Valid State Driver’s License
- Master of Business Administration, Professional Engineer’s license, and/or Project Management certification.
- Knowledge of power plant systems, codes and standards and environmental regulations.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills to effectively build relationships and communicate with a broad spectrum of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Strong analytical skills and detail orientation.
- Normal office/plant and/or construction site environment, including working at heights, high/low ambient temperatures, and high/low humidity at project/plant work locations.
- Hybrid schedule: In office - 3 days per week; Remote - 2 days per week.
- Requires standing, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect or collect data on plant equipment.
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required.
- The job requires operation of a motor vehicle.
- Requires compliance with the corporate safety program, including wearing personnel protection equipment such as safety glasses, appropriate footwear, clothing, hardhat, earplugs, etc. at plants and project sites. May be required to work around energized and rotating equipment, hazardous materials, and chemicals.
- Requires occasional overnight travel from permanent work location. On occasion may require international travel.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at [ Link removed ] )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
- Attention To Detail
- Cost Modelling
- Electrical Engineering