As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
- Oversee the safe, efficient, reliable, and environmentally sound operation of plant equipment.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, test, calibrate, repair, and install equipment, specialized sensors, controllers, meters, cable, computers, PLCs, calibration cameras, IR cameras and any device associated with instrumentation and/or control.
- Troubleshoot electrical and/or communication systems, subsystems and devices generally accepted methods, use instruction manuals and experience to determine the root cause of malfunctions. Reports the cause of the malfunction to the appropriate supervisor and takes appropriate corrective actions.
- Perform corrective maintenance as directed and/or required.
- Perform additional functions such as isolating equipment, returning equipment to service, adjustments, and performing operational tests with instruction from Station Operators or other Supervisors.
- Install, overhaul and maintain types of power circuit breakers, switches, motors, transformers and electrical power equipment.
- Test and locate faults on control and power circuits, communication circuits, current transformers and similar devices on AC and DC circuits.
- Design, install and test various electrical equipment upgrades, including programming PLC and sensors associated with solar energy.
- Work with specialized software to manipulate, troubleshoot, provide maintenance, and return to service, equipment, and sensors within the solar field.
- Provide training, coordinate/manage various contractual work being performed on-site.
- Aid in creating and reviewing budget costs, work orders and POs, associated with work being performed by on site personnel and contractors.
- Operate proprietary solar field control system in coordination with DCS control board operators.
- Properly operate plant auxiliary equipment and systems during normal and emergency operations.
- Troubleshoot plant equipment to resolve operational problems.
- Generate and review Work Requests for the execution of equipment repair.
- Operate various computer systems to receive, analyze, comprehend and input data.
- Monitor and record data available through the use of various instruments, recording charts, annunciator systems, and other monitoring devices onto shift logs as directed by plant operational procedures.
- Assist in providing skill enhancement training to other personnel.
- Implement Plant Emergency Procedures as needed.
- Observe variations in operating conditions and interpret meter and gauge readings.
- Assist maintenance personnel in the performance of maintenance activities to include use of tools, equipment, and Company vehicles.
- Control Lock-out / Tag-out events with a thorough understanding of the policies and procedures to ensure equipment and or systems are safe to be worked utilizing RedTag Pro software.
- Operate natural gas pipeline valves to ensure the proper alignment is established and maintained for the safety of the general public and plant personal while
- Regularly inspect the integrity of the Natural Gas Pipeline, including system pressure, unit pressure, liquid level, heater operation, above-ground piping, valves, flanges, pigging sending, and receiving stations. Wildlife, vegetation, and soil condition are also to be closely monitored, as required by DOT Regulations.
- Inspect the natural gas cathodic protection system to ensure the pipe insulation maintains its integrity, utilizing a multi-meter, and an RFIT Insulation Tester.
- Perform gas pipeline purging to ensure the safe removal of all gas in the pipeline, rendering it safe for maintenance, modifications, or repair.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical or mechanical fundamentals such as electrical measurements, control circuits, hydraulics, and pneumatics.
- Basic knowledge of operational characteristics of equipment and associated control devices installed in power facilities.
- Three (3) or more years experience in a power plant or related industry (industrial, manufacturing, production, or military).
- Successful candidates must receive a rating of Recommended on the NRG pre-employment assessment test.
- Knowledge of the principles of electrical theory, mechanical theory, and physics as related to the operation of steam station equipment.
- Thoroughly understands station solar fields and SFINCS control systems and how they apply to all unit operations.
- Comprehensive understanding of all applicable safety rules, regulations, emergency procedures, environmental regulations, and procedures as they apply to the worksite.
- Proficient in MS Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must have an exceptional ability to record and track equipment fault and failure data for historian and warranty purposes.
- Ability to use addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to perform flow, pressure, and meter calculations and to solve problems related to control processes.
- Knowledge of complex digital communication control systems; proper methods for troubleshooting, repairing control systems; proper and safe methods to clean equipment; safe use of tools; plant safety rules; reporting procedures and practices, maintenance procedures and practices; electrical and mechanical prints.
- General understanding of electrical power generation.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic, electrical, and mechanical equipment and their maintenance methods and practices.
- Thorough understanding of Cathodic protection, to ensure the integrity of the underground piping system remains intact and functioning properly.
- Apply theoretical knowledge to practical operating problems.
- Lead by example, at all times in complete control of the plant in a safe, environmentally sound, efficient, and professional manner.
- Operation of computers, printers, digital multi-meters, oscilloscopes, and various hand tools. Ability to utilize the personal computer in applications for spreadsheets, database activities, word processing, and troubleshooting the plant's solar field control equipment, troubleshooting PLC Systems, and network infrastructure.
- Ability to operate Company vehicles and equipment and maintain operating licenses and certifications, valid Driver’s License required.
- Read and interpret blueprints, schematic diagrams, procedures, and technical manuals.
- Communicate conditions of plant system and equipment to others.
- Discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals from control panel.
- Take, record, and analyze readings of various electrical and mechanical meters. Have a good understanding of operating procedures, environmental and safety rules and regulations, and first aid procedures.
- Able to use test equipment for the detection and repair of faulty instrument and control devices.
- Able to interpret and follow technical instructions furnished in oral, written, diagrammatic, and schedule form.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, electrical diagrams, technical manuals, and logic diagrams.
- Apply knowledge of steam power plant operations and basic power plant principles to daily decision-making and work tasks.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully function as a member and/or leader of a team and to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at [ Link removed ] )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
- Cathodic Protection
- Control Panels
- Control Systems