FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Potomac Edison, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [PO]
This job is responsible for the designed construction, relocation, and new business work for the Distribution function of the Company.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate and direct a solid commitment to all aspects of safety.
- Assist with coordination and scheduling activities to assure completion according to regulatory deadlines.
- Assist with the design of line extensions and rebuild and relocation of existing regulated facilities. Design in accordance with FE construction standards and FE engineering practices. Assist with the design of single phase and 3-phase overhead and underground facilities to serve individual customers and commercial and industrial developments.
- Assist with digitizing GIS land base for new developments and geographic additions, and queries GIS data as requested using established routines.
- Calculate, administer, and monitor billing for line extension and billable relocation work; aid in the determination of appropriateness and method of calculating billing for unusual and non-routine situations.
- Write easements for line extensions and highway relocation work. Able to determine adequacy, applicability, and adherence to corporate standards.
- Assist in providing support with technical reports and metrics to ensure compliance with Company practices and procedures.
- Respond to preplanning underground locate requests by researching GIS records and preparing extracts of GIS maps for engineering and architecture firms.
- Complete job close-out by reviewing materials issue and coordinate with Storeroom for proper charging. Complete as-built changes and coordinate efforts with crew leaders, designers, or line supervisors. Ensure all paperwork is accounted for prior to close-out.
- Perform job design, customer contacts, field work, create work packages, and process appropriate invoicing. Work with customers in the field as necessary.
- Through CREWS, retrieve work from Power On follow ups, ESSS, P1 poles and DMISL. Review need date, open GIS design to collect information about the poles, wires, dates, etc. Research line work activities, identify materials, equipment, special tools, draw the work up, print out work packet, and provide to Line Foreman. Upon completion of the job, complete all the requirements and run as-builts design.
- Design follow-up requests, streetlight repairs, claims, and new business requests. Determine what work was performed in order to accurately design labor and material needed.
- Assist in designing J&C jobs online drawings, permits, and assist Marketing representative with proposals.
- Aid in acquiring permits for poles with right of away due to car-pole accidents.
- Gain knowledge of National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC).
- Gain an understanding of the Company’s Accident Prevention Handbook and Manual of Operations, and the practical application in the workplace.
- Interpret work requests, engineering drawings, schematics, equipment instruction manuals and procedures to aid in the development of accurate work plans.
- Gain knowledge of:
- The purpose, function, and operating characteristics of equipment, and residential, commercial, and utility electrical systems
- Construction methods, maintenance practices, service practices, standards and procedures
- Procedures and processes for the acquisition of materials, equipment and tools
- Gain an understanding and knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements as appropriate.
- Develop, collect, organize, and analyze information from a variety of sources to develop reports, providing information on backlog and productivity.
- Provide assistance during emergencies and storm-related activities and travel to various off-site locations as well as FirstEnergy office locations, training facilities and customer sites, when requested.
- Attend all required regulatory training.
- Maintain strong working relationships at all levels.
- Provide quality customer service, both internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology or related discipline + 0-1 years of related work experience, OR Associate’s degree in Engineering Technology or related discipline + 2-3 years of related work experience, OR High School Diploma (or GED) + 4+ years of related work experience.
- Related work experience is knowledge of construction and maintenance practices, procedures, work methods, materials, equipment, and tools which would be used to determine the resources necessary to perform construction and maintenance activities.
- Professionalism to work with engineer and management personnel, as well as interface and work cooperatively with customers, contractors, and the general public, in a courteous manner that demonstrates FirstEnergy’s rules of engagement.
- Self-motivated and able to multi-task with competing priorities.
- Possess solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with PC software applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.), Outlook, SAP, geographical information system (GIS), customer request work scheduling (CREWS), power outage reporting system (PowerOn), computer aided drafting (CAD/AutoCAD) and Energy Delivery Outage Application is preferred. Experience with database query tools (Hyperion/BRIO, Business Explorer Analyzer (BEX), Cognos) and experience using Visual Basic is a plus.
- Must have a personal vehicle to commute to various facilities and locations as required, possessing a valid driver’s license.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
CAD, Drafting, Compliance, Construction, Geology, Engineering, Legal
- Auto Cad
- Claim Processing