Sr. Solution Architect, Utilities Practice
Eaton’s North American Sales Division is currently seeking a Sr. Utilities Solution Architect to join our team. This position is based from a remote home office or in one of the following cities: Houston, TX, Dallas, TX, or Austin, TX.
The solution architect acts as a bridge between the client operations and IT team, Eaton technical sales consultants and subject matter experts, and third party technology providers – in bringing together a software solution that translates the client business problems to technical software requirements and ultimately a software solution. The focus of this role will be on “solutions” design, development and selling for the region, which are an integrated package of Eaton software content, Eaton digital platform, third party software technology, Eaton equipment and associated implementation/customization.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Lead Eaton technical sales engagement with clients in the energy and utilities industry (IOUs, municipalities, cooperatives) for outcomes, consultative and solution selling opportunities. Be able to articulate the solution to C-level executives as well as technical operations teams for clients.
- Provide pre-sales technical support for clients: work with internal Eaton teams and third-party technology providers to identify client business problems, facilitate requirements design thinking sessions, architecture presentations, product feature descriptions and value propositions, and software solution demos.
- Work with the technical sales consultants, business development managers and proposals team within the region, to develop software value propositions for key utilities stakeholders: executives, operators, finance leaders and IT leaders, and also be able to put together compelling proposals for Eaton software solutions.
- Respond to RFP documents, put together solution requirements and design, system customization and configuration, align service offerings and ultimately be the client’s point of contact for maintaining the software solution roadmap.
- Develop templates and best practices for software solution deployment into utilities client accounts, working with the regional professional services/delivery team.
- Help with existing and new account planning and strategy, to bring in Eaton software content and grow software revenue in the region. Provides technical and sales consulting, support for major account opportunities.
- Develop a broad network of software technology providers, stay current with latest technologies in the utilities space (AMI/AMR, smart meters, networking, meter to cash best practices, distribution automation etc.).
- Position Eaton value through our software content: position appropriate Eaton software products, services, third party technologies as part of a software solution that fits the client needs.
- Regional software orders and pipeline growth for energy automation solutions offerings
- Proposal response time
- Increase in % software revenue wallet share by regional utilities accounts
- Customer satisfaction (solution/architecture fit, pricing, quality and roadmap alignment)
- VP/Director of Software Sales (energy and utilities segment)
- Regional technical sales consultants/application engineers
- Regional software proposals team
- Regional account managers (energy and utilities segment)
- Product management (energy and utilities segment)
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field required, computer science/engineering preferred
- 5+ years of deep domain expertise with the power distribution and utilities industry, developing and deploying software for utilities
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- 5+ years of technical sales experience with contemporary software technologies like cloud/SaaS, AI/ML, edge computing solutions, analytics software packages and cybersecurity
- 5+ years of consultative, software selling experience to executive and technical buyers in the utilities industry, developing and translating business use cases to solution requirements and architecture documentation
- Highly fluent with emerging utility industry trends and implications on customers: AMI/AMR, demand side management, grid optimization solutions, distribution automation, substation automation, distributed energy resources and energy storage solutions.
- Technology leadership, self-motivation and drive to work with internal Eaton and external (partner, client) stakeholders for client satisfaction.
- Ability to communicate with all levels (executive, technical) internally and externally, and manage through long term relationships and influence.
- Collaborative; develops longer term working relationships with the utilities offer management directors, offer managers, delivery and engineering teams. Leverages influence to drive new ideas for growth.
- Drives innovation through a culture of learning, front-line empowerment risk taking and obsessive customer focus.
- Change agent for our customers/clients, sales organization, working through influence, trust and evangelism of new ideas for software solution development and selling. Be the champion in bridging the gap between business users, operations and information technology users.
- Excellent client/customer facing skills: able to represent Eaton’s digitalization/software journey with customers and be able to articulate Eaton’s software value propositions.
- Strategic business acumen and complex problem-solving skills in a highly matrixed organization.
Eaton provides a competitive total rewards package commensurate with applicable skills, knowledge, and experience and consistent with internal and external market practices. The annual base salary range for this role is $114,000 - $157,000 a year and is eligible for an annual performance-based incentive plan with a target at 30% of base salary.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: NAS North American Sales
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time