BRIEF OUTLINE OF SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Move/install various types of AC and DC dynamometers
- Align, level, and secure dynamometers to bed plates in test cells
- Mechanically install torque meters and load cells
- Provide preventative maintenance on dynamometers, load cells, starter motors, and drive shafts
- Use chain falls, come-a-longs, hydraulic port-a-packs for moving heavy equipment
- Use of tape measure, calipers, micrometers, laser aligner, and other measuring devices to balance and align equipment. Basic skills for measuring
- Use of plumb bob for aligning and leveling
- Use of dial indicator to check tolerances
- Perform vibe checks on rotating equipment
- Document work performed
- Inventory of parts and ordering
- Fabricate basic fixtures/ bracketry for installs
Jacobs is the world’s top supplier of automotive test facilities, providing a full range of services to commercial automotive industry customers. Customers include not only the world’s major vehicle providers and other original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), but also clients from the international motor sports community.
Our experience encompasses virtually every type of automotive test facility, including climatic and driveability wind tunnels; aerodynamic, acoustic, and thermodynamic wind tunnels; emissions test rooms; soak rooms; altitude chambers; engine and powertrain test cells; and electromagnetic anechoic chambers. We not only design and build these facility systems assets but also operate, maintain, and manage these facilities.
The Test Support Technician is an entry level position, giving those who want to work in the vehicle testing field the opportunity to learn and grow with an industry leader.
This position is full-time. Technicians are employees of Jacobs. This is NOT a contract position. You will be eligible for our generous benefit package, including health insurance, dental, vision, generous PTO, paid holidays, 401K, stock purchase plan, and tuition reimbursement.
Check out this video to learn more about Jacobs!
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND /OR SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma required.
- Good interpersonal, computer, oral and written skills.
- Excellent Mechanical Skills
- Training in Automotive, Aerospace or Machine Shop disciplines.
- Able to read blueprints and schematics
- Attention to detail
- Must be proficient in Excel
- Working towards an Associate Degree in Automotive Technology or related field or equivalent testing experience in Gasoline and Diesel engine testing.
- Experience in engines/powertrain dynamometer testing or other similar testing techniques preferred
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
- Lifting: Parts such as fixtures, brackets, pumps, other related parts and accessories, up to 50 lbs., 40%
- Climbing: NA
- Crawling: NA
- Special clothing/equipment (wearing): Safety glasses, slip resistant hardened toe shoes, gloves, long pants, short sleeve shirts, 100%
- Unusual physical requirements: Sitting (50%), Standing (50%), Bending (25%), stooping (25%), Job requires manual labor
- High noise level: Engine high noise level while running in the test cells, vibration shakers, air flow lab pumps
- Other: NA
Description of Work Environment
- Inside? Outside? Combination? Where?: Inside, 95%, Outside 5%.
- Extreme (hot/cold) temperatures involved: NA
- Hazardous conditions - What are they?: Rotating equipment, heavy fixtures, fuel, trip hazards, 100%
- Travel/transportation requirements: NA
- Other: NA
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
- Office equipment/machines electrically/battery operated - which?: Computers, 40%
- Vehicles, forklifts, etc. operated which?: NA
- Tools used in trade - which ones?: Vertical Mill, Lathe, Band Saw, Drill Press, and other related machine shop hand tools, repair tools, 30%
- Other: measuring devices, plumb bob, dial indicator, laser aligner
Criticality of Attendance
- Overtime, regular days, off days: Monday through Friday, 8 hrs/day and 5 days/week. Occasional weekend AWS/OTP
- Shift, 1st, 2nd, 3rd: Dayshift, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
- Necessity for regular attendance: Critical for employee to be there on a regular basis.
- Urgency for punctuality: Critical for employee to be there on time.
- Must have flexibility of work days to cover weekend testing requirements.
Other Essential Functions
Must complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, health performance evaluation, and background check.
Must demonstrate professional behavior at all times when dealing with customers, management and co-workers. Must have clear, concise and accurate communications skills in English, both verbal and written. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk to self or others. Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner. Dependable personal transportation to work site is required.