Kinder Morgan is one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America. We own an interest in or operate approximately 84,000 miles of pipelines and 157 terminals. Our pipelines transport natural gas, gasoline, crude oil, carbon dioxide (CO2) and more. Our terminals store and handle petroleum products, chemicals and other products.
Kinder Morgan is committed to being a good corporate citizen and conducting ourselves in an ethical and responsible manner. We spend hundreds of millions of dollars each year on integrity management and maintenance programs to operate our assets safely and to protect the public, our employees, contractors and the environment. Operationally, we continue to perform better than our industry peers relative to environmental, health and safety measures.
The Engineering Technician provides engine/equipment analysis to improve compressor station efficiency and reliability while maintaining compliance with all company/industry safety policies and local, state and federal regulations. Qualified candidate will support natural gas compressor stations including industrial gas turbine / centrifugal compressor trains, internal combustion engine/ reciprocating compressor packages and ancillary equipment. Engineering Technician works with field technicians and operations specialist in troubleshooting equipment and assists in maintenance as needed. The Engineering Technician may work with Environmental Representatives in assessing engine and compressor performance/compliance. This position is posted at Clay City, KY; however, the technician may report to another Division 9 area office at discretion of Division 9 management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to use and understand a variety of test equipment. This would include, but not be limited to, reciprocating engine performance, vibration analysis, ultrasonic leak detection, non-intrusive inspection, boroscope, emissions testing equipment, greenhouse gas surveys, thermography etc.
- Routine engine and compressor performance and maintenance analysis utilizing Windrock Performance Analyzer
and applicable software.
- Periodic portable emissions testing (as needed).
- Identify, report, and assist in the correction of environmental concerns through Green House Gas surveys and leak detection surveys.
- Routine vibration testing and data analysis. Continual support toward an ongoing vibration mitigation program.
- Engine and compressor testing to establish or correct performance and control system coefficients.
- Provides corrective actions to resolve operational problems and work with location personnel to resolve plant equipment issues.
- Monitor reliability of mechanical systems and equipment and participate in various regular reliability meetings.
- Assists in equipment failure analysis and in the development of standard practices and procedures.
- Complete appropriate documentation and communicate the mechanical health of equipment to local and regional management.
- Provide technical assistance in the operations and maintenance of plant equipment and provides training on equipment operations and maintenance policies and procedures.
- Perform all work in compliance with all Company standards, procedures, and regulatory and tariff requirements.
- Assist with start-up and commissioning of new compressor station equipment (as needed).
- Deal with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy and professionalism. Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills and listen carefully.
- Manage other related duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in electronics / mechanical, industrial maintenance or equivalent relevant experience.
- Position requires familiarity of natural gas compression facilities, rotating machinery including reciprocating engines / compressors, gas turbines and / or electric motor driven centrifugal compressors, and ancillary support systems.
- Basic computer skills working with the Microsoft Office product line (Word, Excel, and Outlook), learn additional equipment specific data acquisition applications.
- Solid basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals).
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Working knowledge and experience with electronic equipment, high pressure gas, processing equipment, reciprocating two and four cycle integral/separable or gas turbine engines, electric motors along with reciprocating and centrifugal compressors.
- Working knowledge of reciprocating engine and compressor performance and maintenance analysis.
- Working knowledge of vibration testing and other predictive technologies.
- Working knowledge of portable emissions testing.
- Past experience with data collection and route based hardware and software such as Windrock Performance Analyzer, Testo emissions analyzer, and others preferred.
Certifications, licenses, registration:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
Competencies, skills and abilities:
- Goal orientated with a focus on self motivation and independent work scheduling.
- Proven analytical and trouble shooting skills.
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills.
- Job level commensurate with experience and skill sets.
- Must be able to work unsupervised and within a team, take direction from Supervisor(s), adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules, as well as, take on additional job responsibilities as needed.
- Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
Physical demands/Working Conditions:
- The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
- Must be able to tolerate extreme conditions; will work outdoors in all seasons.
- Commute to work location must be within a reasonable time distance.
- Travel is required and anticipated as up to 40-50% on average and may occasionally include out-of-town nights and weekend travel. Travel to locations under the employee’s responsibility often as well as travel to other locations for training or support purposes in Division 9.
- Physical ability to lift as much as 40lbs, bend/stoop, kneel and climb stairs/ladders.
- Ability to use hand tools and equipment, repetitive hand use such as simple grasp and twisting motion.
- Be available for and provide Emergency Response after regular business hours which may require carrying a communication device.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.