•*Calpine is open to candidates at all experience levels for this position.
Ideal candidate will be hired at a level commensurate with experience.
Responsible for performing electrical load flow studies associated with Calpine’s use of the electric transmission system.
The Transmission Analyst conducts analysis and research on the topology, operation of the transmission grid, and procedures for facilitating electric transmission transactions within various defined market areas. Responsible for providing analysis to inform Calpine’s view of locational market pricing across all ISO/RTOs in which Calpine operates.
Knowledge base should include a subset of the following:
• Electrical grid physics
• Electricity market structures, dynamics, and rules; FTR, CRR and TCC structures Power plant operations
• Load flow and nodal price modeling software platforms (such as PSLF, PSSE, PROMOD, UPLAN, Dayzer, etc.) and associated data structures
• Should have experience with transmission modeling; analytical applications such as Excel, SQL, Visual Basic, Python, R, SAS, C++, Java/.NET, and other programming languages.
• Strong orientation toward designing efficient and reliable processes is required; should be able to demonstrate success managing and improving complex processes
• Understanding of ISO market structure and energy commodities.
• Perform transmission system studies and market simulations, using power flow programs and market modeling platforms to identify transmission system capabilities and limitations, and determine risks and opportunities for Calpine’s generation assets and commercial positions.
• Support hedging and trading activities through CRRs/FTRs/TCCs and other market transactions to help optimize Calpine’s portfolio.
• Provide transmission expertise and analytical support for Calpine’s commercial development and strategic origination activities.
• Produce regular short-term to mid-term market reports and forecasts.
• Support the development and continuous improvement of Calpine’s proprietary LMP market modeling and analytics platform.
• Participate in RTO/ISO and Regional Reliability Council meetings to support Calpine’s positions in transmission matters; gather competitive intelligence concerning changes in the transmission grid that may affect the wholesale market in general, and Calpine’s interests in particular.
• Support other analytical and managerial efforts as needed within and beyond Commercial Analytics.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with power systems as focus, mathematics, applied statistics, computer science or data science, economics or commensurate operational experience. Advanced degree in technical fields is highly desirable. Strong analytical and problem solving capability is highly desirable.
• Seasoned professional; typically requires 7 – 10 years experience with most recent two years focused on transmission systems planning and or operation while working with automated load flow tools and systems. Also requires familiarity with topology, operation of transmission grids and procedures for facilitating electric transmission transactions within various defined market areas.
• Experience and knowledge of sitting issues such as location and possible mitigation of chronically congested areas of the electronic transmission grid. Also requires working knowledge of the major transmission issues associated with local market structure such as congestion management.
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to [ Email address blocked ] . Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP URL blocked - click to apply.
- .Net Framework
- Business Process Improvement
- C++ (Programming Language)
- Commodity Market
- Computing Platforms
- Data Analysis