Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ([ Link removed ] ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
The Resource Estimation and Mine Planning; Long Term Planning Team is responsible for the Reserves & Resources, Strategic Mine Planning, Mine Design and supports Business Planning for Newmont’s Global Operations. As an intern you will have the opportunity to work with the Long Term Planning Team at Newmont’s Cripple Creek and Victor Operation.
Summer intern positions begin in May 2021 and conclude in August 2021. The exact dates are flexible depending on each student’s availability and our business need. Our internships are full-time paid positions (40 hours/week).
This internship is based at our Cripple Creek and Victor Mine in Victor, CO. There is ample opportunity for internal networking within our company.
As an intern, you will be responsible for completing specific Long Term Planning projects, as well as supporting specific day-to-day activities for the site technical services department. The exact projects will be established according to your availability, interest, skills, and experience, in addition to the specific business needs.
Possible projects include:
- Assist in layback design updates
- Innovative re-imagining of Mine access ramp options to reduce strip ratio
- Assist in compiling 2021 Mid-Year Reserves estimate
- Perform trade-off studies for in-pit dumping opportunities
- Assist in development of life of mine plan physicals
- Additional Site Technical Services supporting opportunities include:
- Validation of haul study data
- Create leach pad and dump schedules
- Update LOM reclamation plans (end of reclamation shapes and the like)
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work; other work may also be assigned
Training & Experience
• Undergraduate or Graduate students preferred, graduating in December 2021 or later – Mine Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or Geology. We will consider other similar disciplines.
• Experience in mining and/or passion to learn about the hard-rock mining industry preferred
• Strong organization, project and time management skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; comfort engaging with senior leaders and global teams
• Strong research methods capability and writing skills
• At least a 3.0 GPA or equivalent
• Valid work authorization to work in the United States for this position.
- With a strong focus on inclusion and diversity, we welcome all applicants who feel they are qualified for this role. This role will be based in Cripple Creek and Victor.
- If this internship sounds interesting and you’d like to be considered for employment, please submit your application and resume.
This position has multiple levels (which may range from Freshman right up to PhD level). The hourly rate offered for this overtime-eligible role will depend on the level, and the range of the hourly rate is $$20.00(Freshman) -36.00 (PhD). The hourly rate is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The specific level and hourly rate that is offered to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The hourly rate offer will not be based on a candidate’s wage rate history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about wage rate history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont. This role is not eligible for benefits except for as applicable by law.