UGI Utilities, Inc. is a natural gas and electric utility company committed to delivering reliable, safe and affordable energy to our 700,000 customers in 45 counties in Pennsylvania and 1 county in Maryland. We pride ourselves on being a responsive, engaging energy company. The foundation of our success lies in the strength of our 1,700 plus employees who strive to exceed the expectations of our customers and the communities we serve every day.
We offer comprehensive benefits, some of which are:
- medical, prescription, dental, vision, life insurance
- disability plans
- 401(k) matched savings plan
- paid vacation
- company stock purchase program
- wellness programs
- tuition reimbursement
- paid parental leave
- paid volunteer time
- adoption assistance
This entry level position in our Middletown, PA office performs general construction and maintenance tasks. Employees are qualified by training and experience to do all construction tasks with direct supervision including: facilities locating, excavation, emergency response, basic backhoe/trencher operation, dump truck operator, gas main and service installation/repair, pipe fitting and will be eligible for after-hours duty crew and on-call responsibilities when judged qualified.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gas and main service installations and repair.
- Backhoe, trencher and dump truck operation.
- Facilities locating.
- Updating facilities records.
- Turning gas services on.
- After hours emergency response.
- Employee will enter a progression program and obtain training and experience to advance to higher level classifications.
- The successful candidate must live within the service territory of the job location and will be required to hold or obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL-A) within the first six months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to pass a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) test, pre-employment drug test and physical and physical abilities test. Must also pass a background check including driving record.
- Must be able to follow all Company safety policies and procedures and protect Company assets.
- Ability to work effectively with supervision, fellow employees, customers and public.
- Knowledge of equipment operation and pipeline construction with experience in natural gas, construction maintenance or related field preferred.
- Mechanical ability and ability to do physical labor.
- Must be able to lift up to 90 pounds.
- Use of various hand and pneumatic tools (jackhammer) for excavating.
- Good Communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to utilize applicable computer applications.
- Ability to work with supervision and coworkers.
- One can expect to work in various outdoor environments as well as in all sorts of weather and work conditions and at times it may be necessary to enter excavations or utility holes. Overtime may be necessary in order to meet work obligations. Work includes the operation of hand and power tools and machinery. This position is subject to hazards such as moving vehicles, construction equipment and exposure to natural gas.
- Must reside within 30 minutes of the central Middletown service territory.
Education and Experience
- HS Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid PA Driver’s License.
- CDL preferred.
UGI Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. As such, the Company abides by the requirements of the Executive Order 11246, 41 CFR 60-741.5(a), and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, age, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally protected class in its practices.
Successful applicants shall be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen as a condition of employment, and if hired, shall be subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with UGI policies. As a federal contractor that engages in safety-sensitive work, UGI cannot permit employees in certain positions to use medical marijuana, even if prescribed by an authorized physician. Similarly, applicants for such positions who are actively using medical marijuana may be denied hire on that basis.
Commercial Driver's License (Cdl)