Mining Engineer Scheduling
- Join a dynamic & innovative team, helping shape one of the world’s most significant underground operations
- Define your own career path – we are committed to your professional growth and development
- Family-friendly 5:2 roster with work from home flexibility & international travel (pending travel restrictions)
- Brisbane based for the Oyu Tolgoi Underground Operation
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
For nearly 150 years, we have been producing materials essential to human progress – minerals and metals that are still part of everyday life, including the copper that supports everyday life and sustainable opportunities.
Within the family of Rio Tinto operations is Oyu Tolgoi located in the South Gobi region of Mongolia. Oyu Tolgoi LLC (OT) operates the Oyu Tolgoi copper-gold mine, which will be one of the world’s largest underground block cave mines. OT is a partnership between the Government of Mongolia (34%), Turquoise Hill Resources (66%) and Rio Tinto (approximately 50.8% of Turquoise Hill). Rio Tinto was appointed management controller of OT in December 2010 to deliver this strategically important asset for Mongolia. OT will contribute to Mongolia’s social and economic development.
About the role
We are looking for a Mining Engineer Scheduling for Oyu Tolgoi (OT). This role will be Brisbane-based, on a lifestyle 5:2 roster. Moderate international travel will be required once travel restrictions are eased.
The Brisbane-based Technical and Integrated Planning (T&IP) team provide offshore technical support for Lift 1 of the underground operations. Within T&IP, the Underground Planning & Scheduling team primarily provides medium to long-term planning capability (i.e. 3 months to life-of-mine), whereas the site-based Technical Services team is responsible for short-term (i.e. shift to 3 months) planning. There is flexibility across these planning horizons such that teams may operate within or beyond their nominal range according to business needs and agreement with key stakeholders.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
Reporting to the Superintendent - Scheduling & Systems, the Mining Engineer Scheduling will work closely with the Senior Engineer Scheduling to produce the Rolling Annual Mine Plan on a quarterly basis, in addition to other medium-long term schedule projects and trade-offs.
Key duties will include:
- Working with the Senior Engineer Scheduling to produce the rolling annual mine plan (3 to 12-month focus) on a quarterly basis
- Fostering strong stakeholder relationships
- Ensuring schedules are practical, consider key interactions, and are adequately resourced
- Assisting the Senior Engineer Scheduling in developing life-of-mine schedules
- Undertaking general scheduling related project and trade-off work
- Reporting of compliance to the quarterly mine plan
- Further establishment and refinement of scheduling processes and ways of working
- Seek opportunities to improve safety and implement improvements to reduce risk
The role will be complemented with the highest commitment to safety and ethics, in support of Rio Tinto and OT values and strategic objectives.
What you will bring to the role
- A strong desire to learn and grow not only as an engineer, but as an individual
- A Mining Engineering degree or equivalent with 3-7 years post graduate experience
- Solid mine design and scheduling experience using the Deswik suite
- Demonstrated practical underground mining experience
- Highly effective communication and stakeholder management skills, including ability to collaborate remotely with global teams
- Mass mining exposure (highly regarded)
- Integrated schedule management, with sound understanding of ventilation, construction, and geotechnical influences
- Experience (highly regarded) in data management, analysis and visualisation with programs such as Tableau, PowerBI or Excel
- Excellent time management capability
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress. We offer:
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave, etc.)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Applications for this role will close on June 18th however we do reserve the right to close the role earlier.
This role is for applicants residing in Australia.