Overview of the role
The candidate will be part of the Electrical Engineering team. The team is responsible for the design, installation, commissioning and operation of all DC and pulsed power supplies as well as installation and commissioning of the controls, diagnostics and safety systems for both ST40 and STE1. Due to Tokamak Energy’s fast rate of growth and demanding project programme, we need to further develop the electrical engineering team to meet the requirements for all future programmes and systems. Full training will be given on our current ST40 installation and operation to integrate the suitably selected candidate within our dedicated team.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
The Electrical Engineer will work along-side senior electrical engineers and other electrical engineers to develop the current programme of power supplies on ST40 including Toroidal Field, Merging Compression, Solenoid, Pusher BvL and BvU. In addition, the Electrical Engineer will be involved with the installation and commissioning of our new SX, BvM pulsed power supplies.
The engineer will be trained as an operations power supply engineer for running plasma operational programmes. This will involve daily start up routines, monitoring all power supply systems status including pulse output confirmation during operations.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
- Writing of risk assessments and installation method statements for proposed installations.
- Liaising with engineers and scientists responsible for ST40 systems such as cooling, vacuum, gas, diagnostics and physics parameters.
- Internally the post holder will communicate with the Head of Electrical Engineering, and other mechanical and electrical engineers working within the Company.
- Externally the post holder will be responsible for the management of electrical engineering manufacture contracts and will therefore have to liaise with manufacturers and component suppliers.
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities:
- Working at height (ladders, scissor lifts, cherry pickers & scaffolding)
- Night working (11pm-6am) on some remote occasions
- Working with ionising radiation
- Working with electricity (LV & HV) Full training given
- Working with materials that are managed under the control substances hazardous to health of regulations (COSHH)
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business for Equipment acceptance testing
- Engineering HND/Degree qualified with an electrical bias
- Fully conversant with engineering drawings and circuit diagrams
- High level user of Microsoft office
- Design/specification/installation/commissioning/ or operation of power electronic converters
- Good decision-making, problem-solving, planning and organising
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge, understanding and application of BS7671 and Electrical Safety
- Making or editing electrical drawings or AutoCAD or similar
- PCB Creation, using OrCAD, Eagle CAD or other
- PLC and communication interfacing
- Functional safety systems
- Copper busbar design and assembly
- Planning/supervising electrical installations
- Temperature monitoring (PT100, PT1000, Thermocouple) systems
- High voltage equipment
- Grid connection design – load studies, substation/switchyard/reactive power compensation/filtering design
- Power converter simulations in PLECs/Simulink/PSIM or alternative
- Thermal and magnetic field analysis of copper coils
- Analysis and simulation of superconducting coils
- Component level analysis of power electronic or energy storage components potentially including SCRs, IGBTs, Supercapacitors, flywheels, and transformers
- Neutral beam/RF/gyrotron power supplies
- Previous experience within a scientific facility or similar
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to [ Link removed ] .
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: [ Link removed ]
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
- Transformers (Electrical)
- High Voltage
- Physical Security Information Management
- Piecewise Linear Electrical Circuit Simulation (Plecs)