At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40 countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs’ ES&T Ports and Maritime team specialises in the design, planning, refurbishment and construction of ports and maritime facilities within the UK defence and security sector.
Our projects focus principally on Naval dockyard and shipbuilding facilities and typically involve the design and refurbishment of jetties, quays, dock gates and caissons, berthing and mooring studies as well as undertaking structural investigations and condition assessments of existing maritime assets. We work on projects throughout their life cycle, from initial optioneering and feasibility studies through to detailed design, construction and maintenance.
Each maritime project is truly unique and requires a good understanding of structural engineering and geotechnical design principles. We solve complex and challenging problems, making use of modern analysis techniques, such as 2D and 3D structural modelling as well as geotechnical modelling of soil-structure interaction problems. We operate a culture of safety at Jacobs, and we work to high standards, with most of our projects subject to third-party review.
Responsibilities will Include:
As a Graduate Nuclear and Defence Ports and Maritime Engineer you will:
- Work within our established project teams to execute and deliver safe technical solutions to agreed standards, on-time, and within budget.
- Communicate and liaise effectively with colleagues
- Assist in the development of detailed designs and maintenance solutions for maritime structures.
- Carry out structural design and assessment calculations both by hand calculation and using a range of computer packages.
- Assist with structural inspections.
- Contribute to the production of reports.
- Assist with the preparation of contract documents, bills of quantities and specifications.
- Work closely with peers and mentors to plan tasks and contribute to our business goals.
- You will hold, or be in your final year of working towards an accredited minimum level 2:1 MEng degree in Civil or Structural Engineering (or equivalent).
- An interest in Ports and Maritime engineering.
- The drive and motivation to become a chartered engineer.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to produce well-presented reports.
- Proven team working skills and a strong customer focus.
- Good IT skills (including Microsoft Office) and aptitude to learning new analysis programmes.
- Relevant work experience.
- Membership with a professional institution (Institution of Civil Engineers).
- Some ability in the use of Structural Analysis software.
All staff are required to obtain SC level security clearance, and therefore must have been resident in the UK for the preceding 5 years.
We want you to have unlimited learning opportunities and space for growth in order for you to work towards the next stage of your career.
Recognised throughout industry as a benchmark of good practice our Graduate Development Programme offers a structured approach to Continuous Professional Development. You’ll benefit from learning that complements chartership progression that will provide both the technical and business acumen you require to create your future.
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. [ Link removed ]
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – 2.1062705.1096
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit [ Link removed ] to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please [ Link removed ] .
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then [ Link removed ]
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Commercial Awareness
- Design Elements And Principles