We create smart innovations to meet the mobility challenges of today and tomorrow. We design and manufacture a complete range of transportation systems, from high-speed trains to electric buses and driverless trains, as well as infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a truly global community of more than 75 000 people dedicated to solving real-world mobility challenges and achieving international projects with sustainable local impact.
As Project Engineering Manager, your mission will be to ensure the delivery of a specific technical solution, based on, and adapted from a generic Alstom designed solution, which will fit the client’s project needs in terms of Quality, Cost and Delivery. Your action will occur in a very complex and normative environment, specific to integrated systems (and sub-systems) deployment projects.
- Manage functionally (not hierarchically) the Project Engineering Team (5-20 people / 5.000-100.000 hours depending on the projects) and secure their commitment to the project, dealing with planning, budget, workload distribution, team members skills development, escalating of staffing issues,…
- Represent Engineering within the Project Management Team;
- Represent Alstom in front of customers or partners, for instance to provide overview of design progress, issues and risks;
- Provide regular reporting and performance analysis to the Management;
- Define and ensure the execution of the Engineering Management Plan.
To be successful in this function, you’ll certainly have to initiate and maintain regular and constructive relationships with numerous internal (Project or Sub-System Manager, Site Engineering Planning Manager, Site Engineering Quality Manager, Complete Engineering Project team, teams on other Alstom sites,…) and external (customers, partners,…) stakeholders.
You have the opportunity to join our teams in Charleroi (Belgium), from where Alstom is active through two centers of excellence:
- Signalling Systems – Center of excellence ERTMS (European standard development and implementation)
- Power Electronics – Center of excellence Traction Systems (Traction solutions / auxiliary converters / low voltage cabinets)
Important efforts in R&D support the development of these activities contributing actively to promoting a safe and performant railway network as well as sustainable mobility solutions worldwide.
The Alstom Belgium teams have an excellent knowledge and reputation in the global project management and every day from Charleroi, about 1050 employees, among which 500 engineers, are working on more than 100 projects all over the world. Thanks to them, the site of Charleroi makes a significant contribution to worldwide rail transportation development.
Examples of current / recent projects:
- First commercial service of high speed trains and line between Berlin and Munich
- Participation to Dubai new metro project for 2020 world universal expo
- Pilot project of Automatic Train Operation in Belgium and in the Netherlands
- Upgrade of the whole Danish train fleet with new signaling systems
- Upgrade of most of the Belgium train fleet with new signaling systems
- Manila upgrade and extension of current transportation system
EDUCATION : Engineering Degree in Electronics, Telecom, Automation, Electricity, Robotics or in another similar technical specialty is mandatory.
- 5 to 10 years in relevant positions (systems / sub-systems integration, embedded equipment, electrotechnical product development, tests, Safety) in a highly complex and normative environment (railway, aerospace, defense, nuclear).
- Specific background in engineering combined with People and Project management experience would be a valuable asset.
- Languages: A full proficient use of English and a good command of French are mandatory. Other languages would be assets (especially German and Dutch).
An agile, inclusive and responsible culture is the foundation of our company where diverse people are offered excellent opportunities to grow, learn and advance in their careers. We are committed to encouraging our employees to reach their full potential, while valuing and respecting them as individuals.