Our Brand Values
Greenlee and RIDGID tools are used in some of the most demanding environments around the world by millions of trade professionals. Building the next generation of these great products requires an engineering team that values quality, innovation, agility, and collaboration.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for creative, self-directed individuals who have an aptitude for electronics and firmware, who enjoy collaboration, who love working on innovative products, who want to learn and share, and who want to make an impact. This position will be based out of our Elyria, OH or Rockford, IL offices.
We are looking to grow our team with an experienced electrical engineer. This person will expand our capabilities to develop smart and IoT connected tools. Professional Tools has a bright future in this space and is looking for motivated individuals to help us design and build the next generation of technology-enabled products.
We need individuals who can evaluate new technologies and sensors, working with teams to design electronics modules and the firmware that controls them. The Electrical Engineer needs to be hands-on to make full use of our Electronics Lab and prototyping capabilities.
We are looking for team players who want to collaborate in a cross-functional environment to design and build new tools and innovative solutions that meet or exceed our customers’ expectations. Other team members regularly consist of Mechanical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, and Software Developers, as well as individuals from the Sourcing, Marketing, Quality Assurance, and Manufacturing teams.
If you have a strong interest in electronics, connectivity, the “Internet of Things” (IoT), and controls; and if you want to play a vital role in the future of the most trusted brands in the business, then you’ll be a great fit!
Why Are We Hiring an Electrical Engineer?
Our portfolio of connected products continues to expand, and so does our need for Electrical Engineers. Connected products require an in-depth understanding of the technologies involved – this includes not only capabilities but also size, durability, and cost. With the proliferation of mobile apps and cloud-based solutions, we need to stay in-tune with connectivity solutions like Bluetooth, cellular, Wi-Fi, etc. We’re looking to hire an Electrical Engineer who can do the hands-on activities of an engineer while helping to shape our broader connected tools strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and test electrical systems used for tool operation and control
- Design schematics and select components; develop and test circuit board layouts
- Conduct concept or feasibility studies of new ideas on control logic and other electronics applications. Determine technical principles, assess technology matches, and establish basic design criteria to deliver electronic hardware solutions for new and existing tools
- Perform cost analyses and cost estimates of proposed PCBAs
- Select or specify motors for powered tools
- Closely work with battery manufacturers to define specifications for batteries and chargers. Develop battery test procedures and test fixtures; conduct qualification testing
- Develop test plans for electronic circuitry, and perform qualification testing including functional testing, life testing, and stress testing; oversee EMI and IEC testing
- Collaborate with firmware engineers and software developers to design electronics solutions and communication protocols for mobile apps or cloud solutions (e.g. via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi)
- Drive projects to timely completion by close collaboration with other team members
- Organize engineering tasks to meet completion dates and technical specifications
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Experience designing analog and digital circuits
- Experience with FPGA design
- Schematic capture and PCB layout
- Familiarity with design software such as Altium, OrCAD, Allegro, Circuit Design Suite, and/or SolidWorks Electrical
- Circuit simulation using SPICE software
- Experience with UL, CSA, CE, and FCC agency certification
- Experience with basic meters, scopes, spectrum analyzers and test equipment – LabVIEW experience a plus
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in one or more of the following: instrumentation, motor controls, software design, and UI/UX for industrial equipment
- Preference will also be given to candidates with the ability to create embedded software for microcontroller-based products (C, C , Assembly)
- Additional experience in the following is a plus: automation, PLC development (ladder logic and structured text), HMI development, servo and stepper motors, multiple axis systems, motor tuning, control cabinet layout, motion control, power electronics and machine safety
- At least five years of technical experience in electrical engineering
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication
- Ability to work independently with little guidance
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- A Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, electrical engineering technology, or related discipline is required. Experience in electrical engineering or a related environment is mandatory for this position.
- Action Oriented
- Communicates Effectively
- Drives Results
- Cultivates Innovation
- Optimizes Work Processes
Perks and Benefits
- Matching 401k and Defined Contribution
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Employee discounts
- Tuition assistance
- Short/Long Term Disability
Our Commitment to Our People
We invest in our employees to ensure they have the marketplace knowledge, skills and competencies to compete and lead in a global economy. Our training programs focus on end-to-end development from onboarding through senior leadership.
Flexible and competitive benefits plans offer you the right options to meet your individual/family needs: medical insurance plans, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), tuition reimbursement, and more. We provide employees flexible time off plans including paid parental leave (maternal and paternal), vacation and holiday leave.
Our success is measured by the positive impact we make on people, our communities and the world in which we live. Learn more about us!
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
At Emerson, we are committed to fostering a culture where every employee is valued and respected for their experiences and perspectives. We believe a diverse and inclusive work environment contributes to the rich exchange of ideas that inspires innovation and brings the best solutions to our customers. This philosophy is fundamental to living our company’s values and our responsibility to leave the world in a better place.
Diversity and Inclusion at Emerson is about welcoming, respecting, and valuing the differences each employee possesses. Inclusion is creating a real sense of engagement, belonging and connection for all employees. Learn more about ourCulture & Values
and about Diversity & Inclusion at Emerson
Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by sending an email to [email protected]
Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $18.4 billion in sales, more than 20 Innovation, Solutions & Engineering Centers, and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. We are innovators, question-askers and problem-solvers. We don’t settle for good enough or “This is the way it’s always been done.” Instead, we push ourselves and strive for the “never been done before.”
Our Automation Solutions business enables the greatest use of the world's most valuable resources, ensuring the performance and safety of industries that are the backbone of daily life.
Our Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure.
No calls or agencies please.
Electronic Circuit Simulation