Kinder Morgan is one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America. We own an interest in or operate approximately 84,000 miles of pipelines and 157 terminals. Our pipelines transport natural gas, gasoline, crude oil, carbon dioxide (CO2) and more. Our terminals store and handle petroleum products, chemicals and other products.
Kinder Morgan is committed to being a good corporate citizen and conducting ourselves in an ethical and responsible manner. We spend hundreds of millions of dollars each year on integrity management and maintenance programs to operate our assets safely and to protect the public, our employees, contractors and the environment. Operationally, we continue to perform better than our industry peers relative to environmental, health and safety measures.
Field Telecommunications tech needed to support Pipeline Operations, Terminals and associated company assets.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintenance and installation of telecommunications equipment in Clay City, KY., and various telecommunication sites in the area and or district.
- Telecomm equipment includes and may not be limited to: Microwave Radios, Industrial Wireless Systems, SCADA Communication Systems, VSAT, CDMA, Phone Systems, Office Networks (LAN/WAN), VHF Radio Systems, and associated equipment.
- Apply problem solving skills and break down complex problems to isolate outages and restore services.
- Work within a ticketing system to document the resolution of telecomm outages, installations and repairs.
- Regularly and directly interface with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy and professionalism, including but not limited to other employees, management, vendors, and customers.
- Schedule each work day for optimum efficiency for the greatest benefit to Kinder Morgan, and work with limited supervision.
- Required to carry a company-provided cell phone and be available to respond during working hours and non-working hours.
- Callout and unscheduled overtime is required, and anticipated.
- May be required to work non-traditional hours.
- Maintain a high regard for personal safety, the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- Maintain a regular, dependable attendance, and high level of performance.
- Write effectively, and understand verbal and written communications, including but not limited to email.
- Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills, and listen carefully.
- Travel is required, and a company vehicle is assigned for this job.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Associates Degree in Electronics Technology.
- A minimum of four years experience actively working in electronic technology or telecommunications may be accepted as a degree substitute.
- BS in Technology or Engineering a plus.
Experience / specific knowledge:
- In addition to the degree requirement (or acceptable degree substitute), some level of direct and active work experience in telecommunications is needed (minimum of three years to be considered for Level II Tech and higher).
- Solid training in electronics or a thorough understanding of telecommunications through work experiences.
Certifications, licenses, registrations:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers (for travel).
Competencies, skills, and abilities:
- Strong diagnostic skills and logical thought processes with the ability to identify and resolve various levels of telecommunications issues.
- Proficient with Microsoft applications (including but not limited to Word, Excel, Outlook and Visio) for the purpose of word processing, spreadsheet applications, and information retrieval.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including attention to detail in documentation.
- Excellent customer service skills, able to effectively communicate and work with all levels of management and employees in the corporate office and the field as well as external customers.
- Ability to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), focus attention to details, follow work rules, and adhere to established work schedules.
- Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes, with ability to identify and resolve simple to complex telecommunications problems, including the ability to think quickly and provide support for emergency operations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize daily work, maintain confidentiality as necessary, and work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with strict, and often short, deadlines in a technologically diverse and fast-paced environment.
- Possess and consistently demonstrate a positive attitude with the ability to handle negative or conflicting situations in a logical and professional manner.
- Must be adaptable to organizational change.
- Ability to identify expectations in an employee/employer relationship.
- Must be highly self-motivated with the ability to perform the required and expected duties with little or no direct supervision.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
- Job level commensurate with experience and skill level.
- Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 40 pounds, waist high, on a regular basis.
- Job Location – This position will be based in Clay City, KY.
- Callout and unscheduled overtime is required and anticipated.
- Travel is required and anticipated; a company vehicle is assigned for this job.
Preferred education, experience, certifications, competencies, skills, and abilities:
Above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position:
- Good understanding of digital microwave communications, data radio communications, terminal servers, LAN and WAN Networks, Routers and Data Acquisition Systems a plus.
- Cisco CCNA, Cisco IPTelephony, Nortel certifications, NABER two-way radio certification, NICET certification, FCC license a plus.
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
Job level commensurate with skills and experience. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Attention To Detail