Requisition ID: 128539
Job Level: Senior Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Does the chance to change a skyline excite you? Do you consider yourself a high performer? Creative? Committed to high-quality work? Is adventure your middle name? If so, you may have a future in design engineering at Kiewit! We’re known for creating innovative, world-class building projects throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico — many are once-in-a-lifetime opportunities you won’t find anywhere else. How do we do it? We hire only the best and we employ them to do career-defining work that changes the landscape in communities around the world. You bring your talent, skills, and drive to succeed. We’ll provide the training, on-the-job experience and responsibility from day one that will shape your professional growth. Let’s go!
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
Carbon-Free - Nuclear
We are a high performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the power markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is based out of Lenexa, KS.
• Performs complex calculations and applies standards correctly without supervision. Takes lead when works with peers.
• Reviews the work of engineers and designers developing engineering and design documents as needed for the project.
• Possesses critical analytical skills and is adept at utilizing good decision making tool; high level of data analysis skills.
• Regularly performs reviews of vendor documents to ensure specifications and data sheet requirements are met.
• Leads mid to large-size project or proposals.
• Develops and leads others in ways of improving the design and lowering cost.
• Considers multiple solutions and makes good decisions based on good data analysis.
• Manages several different assignments simultaneously.
• Applies techniques/technologies to improve processes and business results.
• Utilizes industry and company standards to design and engineer effectively.
• Serves as resource to less experienced engineers.
• Reviews application of standards for correct interpretations (including NEC).
• Leads projects in how to interpret and apply codes and standards.
• Leads team to identify changes in the scope of work during mid to large-sized projects.
• Produces design changes as needed to stay within budget and schedule.
• Recognizes the importance of customer needs.
• Performs assigned work efficiently and effectively to maximize person productivity.
• Leads quality checks of the design and engineering of a mid to major-sized project to ensure accuracy.
• Establishes credibility in terms of technical competency and team leading ability.
• Prioritizes time to meet team commitments and individual work requirements.
• Prepare engineering deliverables consisting of one-lines, schematics, wiring diagrams, equipment data sheets, hazardous area classification drawings, electrical power studies (ETAP), etc.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering minimum required.
• At least 15 years’ relevant experience in electrical engineering.
• Self directs work with limited supervision.
• Provides guidance, leadership and training to less experienced engineers.
• Leads small team to complete task/design on project.
• Work with project team as representative and coordinates work within discipline department.
• Adjusts to varying demands of work and performs well.
• Develops and presents work in well-constructed written and verbal presentations. Clearly conveys messages and ideas, gains understanding.
• Communicates effectively with supervisor and members of immediate department.
• Works collaboratively across departments and involves others in solving problems. Initiates meetings within own team, other disciplines or internal customers for clarity on work.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with other to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as technical resource and point of contact for external or internal customers.
• Knowledge of industry codes, guidelines and regulatory standards to include NEC, NFPA and API.
• Experience with ETAP Electrical Power System Analysis software desired.
• Knowledgeable in power system studies including load flow, short circuit, arc flash, and relay coordination preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Construction Management
- Customer Demand Planning