Jacobs is the world’s top supplier of automotive test facilities, providing a full range of services to commercial automotive industry customers. Customers include not only the world’s major vehicle providers and other original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), but also clients from the international motor sports community.
Our experience encompasses virtually every type of automotive test facility, including climatic and driveability wind tunnels; aerodynamic, acoustic, and thermodynamic wind tunnels; emissions test rooms; soak rooms; altitude chambers; engine and powertrain test cells; and electromagnetic anechoic chambers. We not only design and build these facility systems assets but also operate, maintain, and manage these facilities.
Check out this video to learn more about Jacobs!
[ Link removed ]
The Engine Lab Test Technician is an ENTRY LEVEL position, giving those who want to work in the vehicle testing field the opportunity to learn and grow with an industry leader.
BRIEF OUTLINE OF SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conduct a wide variety of non-procedural gasoline and diesel engine dynamometer testing. Support development, durability and performance testing in an engine dynamometer facility. Collect, review and validate data for accuracy and completeness and make recommendation to engineering.
Fabricate basic fixtures. Interface with Technologists, Product Engineers, and Supervisors on updates/new test procedures, equipment and methods.
Verify the calibration and maintenance of test equipment and test systems.
Install engines on dynamometer, hook up instrumentation, diagnose / troubleshoot problems, conduct tests, change engine parts if necessary, and remove engine and instrumentation.
In this position, you are a full-time employee of Jacobs. This is NOT a contract position. You will be eligible for our generous benefit package, including health insurance, dental, vision, generous PTO, paid holidays, 401K, stock purchase plan, and tuition reimbursement.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND /OR SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma
- Good interpersonal, computer, oral and written skills.
- Knowledge of engines and powertrain.
Working towards an Associates’ Degree in Automotive Technology or related field or equivalent testing experience in Gasoline and Diesel engine testing.
Experience in engines/powertrain dynamometer testing or other similar testing techniques preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
- Lifting: Able to lift 50 lbs, engine parts such as intakes, exhaust parts, heads, drive shafts, and other related engine parts and accessories, 35%
- Climbing: NA
- Crawling: NA
- Special clothing/equipment (wearing): Safety glasses, slip resistant hardened toe shoes, gloves, long pants, short sleeve shirts, 100%
- Unusual physical requirements: Sitting (50%), Standing (50%), Bending (25%), Stooping (25%). Job requires manual labor
- High noise level: Engine high noise level while running in the test cell, the employees are not exposed to engine speeds over idle while in the cell
- Other: NA
Description of Work Environment
- Inside? Outside? Combination? Where?: Inside 100%
- Extreme (hot/cold) temperatures involved: Hot temperatures generated by engines. Cold start tests, the engine can be soaked to -20F, 50%
- Hazardous conditions - What are they?: Rotating equipment, engines, hot exhaust, trip hazards, 100%
- Travel/transportation requirements: NA
- Other: NA
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
- Office equipment/machines electrically/battery operated - which?: Computers, analyzers, 70%
- Vehicles, forklifts, etc. operated which?: NA
- Tools used in trade - which ones?: Basic hand tools, hammer, screw driver, wrenches, ratchets, sockets, and other related repair tools, 30%
- Other: NA
Criticality of Attendance
- Overtime, regular days, off days: 8 hours per day Monday-Friday. May need to flex time to cover other shifts as needed, 100%
- Shift, 1st, 2nd, 3rd: Dday shift 7am-3:30pm
- Necessity for regular attendance: Critical
- Urgency for punctuality: Critical
- Work hours are normally 8 hours per day and 5 days per week, Monday-Friday. Regular attendance of scheduled hours is extremely important. Punctuality and regular attendance are necessary. Must have flexibility of work days to cover weekend testing requirements.
Other Essential Functions
Must complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, health performance evaluation, and background check.
Must demonstrate professional behavior at all times when dealing with customers, management and co-workers. Must have clear, concise and accurate communications skills in English, both verbal and written. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk to self or others. Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner. Dependable personal transportation to work site is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws
and [ Link removed ]
Troubleshooting (Problem Solving)