LOCATION: Fort McMurray, Alberta (CA-AB)
JOB NUMBER: 57743
Why you should join us
Reporting to the manager reliability transmission and distribution (T&D), you will support the reliability engineering team on the initiatives related to electrical protection management for high voltage electrical equipment and systems in the T&D jurisdiction, at our base plant site.
You will use your expertise to:
- Ensure compliance to all relevant Suncor policies and standards including the management of change (MOC) process and maintenance business processes
- Assist with technical issues of improvements, design reviews and specifications, troubleshooting or failure analysis (RCA) for electrical protection.
- Support our reliability improvement plan and processes related to protection system and reinforce a culture of continuous improvement and collaboration.
- Execute protection coordination studies to solve potential mis-coordination in the electrical system and ensure protection operation selectivity.
- Analyze requirements of protection upgrades in the T&D system and lead the preparation of corresponding construction work packages.
- Identify potential risks in the T&D protection system, analyze them a propose mitigation measures including development of problem definition documents to initiate projects.
- Support T&D Maintenance execution in the protection system troubleshooting and corrections as well as analysis of protection alarms, revision of protection isolation procedures and protection test reports.
- Support the execution of studies for T&D protection systems (Under frequency Load Shedding, Arc Flash, Protection Coordination, Islanding Management)
- Support project development group providing characteristics of the electrical protection systems as well as assisting in the selection of potential project solutions for adequate protection.
- Support project Execution reviewing/approving protection isolation, reviewing test reports, field walk downs and pre safety start up.
- Support T&D Electrical regulatory compliance in the protection area as per requirement of governing regulatory agencies.
- Drive a structured approach to uphold all health, safety and environment standards, and ensure effective actions and programs are in place to sustain safety and reliability performance goals
We’d like to review your application if you have…
Must-haves (minimum requirement)
- 10 or more years of related experience working with High Voltage Electrical Protection systems (preferably in the Oil industry or Utilities environment)
- A multidisciplinary background in engineering, maintenance and operations is an asset
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline
- Registered or immediately eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Possess a valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record
- Demonstrated use of key processes such as root cause analysis (RCA) and failure analysis (FA).
- Deep understanding of design codes and standards applicable to the electrical protection systems (e.g. CSA 22.3, AUEC, NETA, CSA-463, CSA-462, IEEE Std.)
- Strong understanding on Electrical Regulatory compliance requirement for protection systems (PRC-005, FAC-008, FAC-002, ISO Rules, Alberta Reliability Stds, Critical Infrastructure Protection Std)
- Strong knowledge on specific high voltage electrical protection equipment reliability and operations; instrument transformers, protection relays, SCADA system.
- Strong knowledge on electrical protection system analysis and studies (Short circuit, Stability, Under frequency load shedding, protection coordination).
- Deep knowledge on different protection functions/schemes and relaying to protect electrical equipment: Transmission Lines, Transformers, Switchgears, Distribution Lines, Bus Bar systems, Generators.
- Knowledge on software for protection coordination/simulation (i.e. ETAP, ASPEN, PSSE, Arc Pro)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and at least one industry standard enterprise resource planning tool (preferably SAP)
- You are a highly motivated self-starter with the ability to make decisions with integrity in order to achieve the best results and deliver the most value
- Well-developed critical thinking, strong analytical skills and continuous improvement mindset, with an ability to apply logic and challenge assumptions, conclusions and make appropriate recommendations
- You are a self-starter who is able to work in a multidisciplinary, integrated team environment
- Ability to provide personal and technical mentorship to junior staff members
Where you’ll be working, your work schedule, and other important information:
- You will work out of our Base Plant Mine in 6376187003999, Alberta
- Hours of work are a regular 40-hour work week, Monday to Friday, with the potential for extended work hours based on business needs
- Depending on the nature of the role, we have implemented a Hybrid Work Model to provide our employees with a combination of office-based work and ‘work from home’ flexibility. To learn more, speak to your recruiter
- We require qualified and safety-focused employees for business-critical roles that maintain our commitment to operational excellence and reliable operations. We are using technology to conduct virtual interviews to adhere to physical distancing recommendations and we are well set up for remote onboarding and orientation.
- Suncor encourages everyone do their part and support global efforts to limit the impact of COVID-19 with good hygiene practices, physical distancing, and with care and consideration for the people around you. For more information on how we’re responding to COVID-19, click [ Link removed ] . #StrongerTogether
We are Canada's leading integrated energy company with a [ Link removed ] that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. Our global presence offers rewarding opportunities for you to learn, contribute, and grow in a variety of career-building positions. We live by the value of safety above all else – if it isn't safe, we don't do it. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on [ Link removed ] mean tremendous potential for the future. [ Link removed ]
In addition to rewarding job opportunities, we offer an attractive employee package, including:
- Competitive base salary, compensation programs, and an annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
- High Voltage
- Transformers (Electrical)