This position works as part of the sustainability and environmental, social and governance (ESG) team to advance Black Hills Energy’s climate related ESG efforts. The Sustainability Professional performs qualitative and quantitative research and reporting related to power generation, renewable energy, electricity markets, and the natural gas supply chain. The position tracks reporting frameworks and disclosures, and associated greenhouse gas accounting methodologies for Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. The ideal candidate should be detailed, self-motivated, and capable of creative problem-solving and independent work.
SALARY RANGE: $78,200 - $117,300 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Sustainability and Climate Manager
LOCATION: Our Company Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
A comprehensive relocation package is offered for this position! Details about this package will be shared during the interview and offer process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage company emission inventories and lead greenhouse gas accounting, including Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 calculations for the electric and gas utilities.
- Create scalable and repeatable metrics and dashboards for reporting, determining value realization and support data driven target setting for the development of long-term goals
- Collect and analyze historic and current emission data to demonstrate progress towards corporate wide goals and initiatives and create climate related data visuals for internal and external publications.
- Complete data collection and analysis for corporate reporting frameworks and/or disclosures including, but not limited to EEI/AGA, CDP, NGSI, GRI, TCFD and SASB.
- Support Resource Planning to model greenhouse gas projections specifically related to generation resource mix, purchased power agreements, and anticipated load and resource demands.
- Research and report on evolving data and modeling of technically and economically feasible systemic pathways and policy options. Support analysis of climate-related policies applicable to Black Hills Energy.
- Assist with developing subject-matter expertise and resources on ESG issues (environment, climate change resiliency) and environmental sustainability priorities (energy, carbon, water, waste, and renewable energy).
- Understand and provide education regarding voluntary emission reduction programs such as the EPA Methane Challenge Program. Work as part of the Sustainability & ESG team to highlight voluntary emission reduction initiatives across the corporation.
- Assist with gathering quantitative and qualitative data related to end user energy efficiency initiatives corporate wide to include in ESG reporting including company received recognitions.
- Provide broad business and technological competence to integrate metrics on ESG performance into systems and data architecture and understand the company’s environmental activities as it fits together with its business strategy.
- Stay up to date with global standards related to socially responsible/ESG investing, reporting and emissions accounting including but not limited to Edison Electric Institute’s, American Gas Association, and SASB reporting processes.
- Build relationships across business units and corporate functions to influence process or policy changes and support verbal and written communications to Senior Executives and External Stakeholders.
- Minimum of (5) five years of experience related to environmental, sustainability or ESG programs with specific experience with greenhouse gas emissions required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sustainability, Science, Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Solid understanding of Environmental, Social and Governance activities.
- Familiarity with climate policies and practices is desirable.
- Familiarity with state environmental programs and staff in all states that the company operates in is desirable.
- Familiarity with ESG reporting frameworks, indexes and methodologies.
- Detailed with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner with minimal direction.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work effectively in a team environment.
- Proficiency in electronic data management systems and computer applications including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Ability to interpret government regulations, develop and implement compliance directives.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental description: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if moving about is only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Willing to travel up to 10% (e.g., 2 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job and the employee must have proper licensing to operate a motor vehicle.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package! Annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
Wage: 78200 to 117300
- Audio Equipments
- Creative Problem Solving
- Data Collection