Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs Nuclear is the Design and Engineering partner for Sellafield under the PPP (Programme and Project Partners). This is a 20-year arrangement to deliver ~£7bn of major projects. We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. PPP is delivering major projects, site wide improvements and provision of supporting services.
Jacobs Nuclear provides the front end design and engineering capability across the PPP portfolio. Being part of the PPP Team offers a unique opportunity to drive change and innovation in engineering, safety and delivery solutions in one of the most complex industrial sites in the UK if not the world. We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves and in meeting new challenges.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you to support a key project within the nuclear business.
We are currently looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the team in Westlakes.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Apply expertise to generate innovative and / or technically differentiated solutions to problems, to deliver added value for clients
- Maintain own knowledge of new technologies and equipment advances, and disseminate such information as appropriate within the group such that Jacobs maintains and enhances its ability to deliver for clients
- Build client relationships to make effective use of existing frameworks
- Assist the development of the engineering elements of the project/task baseline scope, schedule and budget for multi-discipline delivery
- Ability to work remotely whilst successfully achieving deliverable based outcomes through a virtual team.
- Ensure status and performance of work is reported accurately and in a timely manner
- Interfacing with design teams and stakeholders
- Check and approve the work of more junior staff to eliminate errors and sub-optimal work
- Provide functional support and guidance to more junior staff to develop both them as individuals and the capability of the team as a whole
Other duties will include:
- Provides technical input in project or consulting role.
- Works within and develops Jacobs and Client procedures.
- Regular attendance will be required at project office and site locations along with design team delivery locations.
- Significant of post-graduate work experience in a highly regulated industry, some of it in the nuclear industry
- Degree Qualification or equivalent qualification in a relevant technical or business discipline
- Detail design knowledge of mechanical mechanisms or bespoke equipment for Nuclear use.
- Demonstrated record of maintaining own skills and knowledge at the forefront of the field Knowledge of delivering against legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security
- Proactive and driven approach to work, taking ownership of the tasks required to be completed under their remit
- Comfortable working under time and cost constraints
- Familiarity with nuclear design principles and processes
- Basic project management skills
- Commercial awareness
- Able to demonstrate that continuing professional development has been a part of their career so far
- Working knowledge of Excel and appropriate CAE packages
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of relevant drawing standards BS8888, BS5070 and BS EN 61082 - Relevant experience in the Nuclear Industry
- Knowledge and experience of the SL design process
- Knowledge and experience of SL standards
- Mechanical handling experience
- Chartered Engineer status.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
Computer Aided Engineering (Cae)