Avangrid Renewables, a subsidiary of Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), is a leading developer, owner and operator of renewable energy facilities in the United States with an eight-gigawatt portfolio of onshore wind and solar projects across 22 states. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore wind business is pioneering this new industry with a development pipeline of five gigawatts off the East Coast. Our offshore portfolio consists of the first-in-the-nation joint venture project Vineyard Wind, which will deliver 800 MW of clean energy into Massachusetts starting in 2023; Park City Wind, an 804 MW project to serve the state of Connecticut; and Kitty Hawk Offshore Wind that has the potential to deliver 2,500 MW of clean energy into Virginia and North Carolina. We aspire to be the employer of choice by providing purposeful and challenging work revolutionizing the renewable energy industry in the United States. This role will be part of a team developing, designing, constructing and operating large scale offshore wind projects which will provide affordable, clean energy and will have a transformational impact on local communities. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore business is located in Boston, Massachusetts.
Avangrid is part of the IBERDROLA Group, a global energy pioneer with the largest renewable asset base of any company in the world. Avangrid employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies – a list of America’s best corporate citizens – and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute.
The Offshore Substation Deputy Package Manager is a critical role within the Offshore Business focussing on the delivery of substantial packages within offshore projects in the US and overseas, working with Multinational Partner(s) and Contractors ensuring that Avangrid/ Iberdrola position is suitably protected at any agreements.
The individual will be part of the management team for the delivery of a scope comprising the supply and installation of Park City Wind, a 800 MW offshore wind farm.
Belonging to the EPC Services Team and Reporting to either the Head of Project Support or a technical discipline Department Manager, the Lead Project Manager will be responsible for defining delivery strategies and plans, tendering, negotiating and managing multi-million offshore delivery contracts, planning and implementing delivery sites and logistics, leading delivery phase including management of multiple offshore contractors and associated interfaces, defining company and business standards and acceptance criteria, and ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied.
The individual will be working as part of a global business with activities in many countries across the US and the rest of the world. The position may require travelling to various locations in the US and overseas and during development, contracting and delivery of substantial packages the individual should be prepared to manage teams working at different project locations.
• Lead delivery of complex multi-million dollars, multi-disciplinary, multi- contract packages with a substantial number of interfaces and coordination to manage.
Skills and Requirements
• Ensure substantial packages are delivered on time, to budget and quality following the highest industry practice and observing the maximum respect for Health, Safety and Environment to ensure regulatory and legal compliance.
• Implement offshore standards, procedures, tools, best practices and quality requirements for large scale offshore windfarm substantial packages, to be constructed across a number of countries throughout Europe and the USA.
• Ensure the delivery of substantial packages is appropriate and consistent with Avangrid/Iberdrola strategy and delivered according to specification, budget and timetable without compromising safety.
• Define, implement and resource the appropriate organisation structure for managing the delivery of the substantial packages.
• Manage the substantial packages delivery team, comprising employees working within several countries throughout the US and Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain) to ensure project execution with intelligent and cost-effective resourcing.
• Prepare substantial packages for the execution phase including contracting offshore equipment, delivery companies, onshore facilities, harbours, consultants, H&SE and quality plans, etc.
• Manage a team that will be responsible for leading the execution phase (onshore and offshore) of substantial project packages of multi-functional teams. Package teams will include legal, commercial, financial and technical.
• Manage project sites (manufacturing facilities, onshore sites, harbours, vessels and offshore sites) under delivery including contractors, consultants and supervisors to support the overall investment plan.
• Manage site hand over from construction to O&M to secure long term investment value and minimise risks.
• Provide key and strategic delivery advice, assessment and recommendations to the business providing key knowledge, lessons learned and support to the substantial packages throughout the whole life cycle (development to decommissioning) to support the business plan delivery
• Provide expert advice on appropriate bid levels/ programme strategies/ commercial strategies/ commercial agreements relative to projects (large packages) to maximise value. Provide key input in the preparation of investment dossiers for all funding requests for projects (large packages) to secure investment support at best value.
• Develop HSE strategy and plans for all project sites and ensure consistency with Avangrid/Iberdrola business strategy to minimise risks and enhance reputation.
• Coordinate with the HSE team to develop HSE strategy for offshore windfarm delivery and ensure a high standard of health and safety awareness is maintained.
• Ensure all lessons learnt regarding offshore delivery are captured and shared across the different offshore substantial packages. Establish the right mechanisms for this process and ensuring the teams and substantial package implement them to capture and enhance business value.
• Degree and professional qualification in relevant engineering discipline - Mechanical/Electrical/Marine Engineering or Naval Architectural.
• Proven experience in the management of substantial packages.
• Substantial experience in contracting, engineering design and delivery
• IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other IT based project management software.
• Flexible to travel r to attend meetings and work at different project sites in the US as well as Germany, France, Denmark, Spain and England.
• Relevant experience in offshore delivery planning and set up.
• Good knowledge of health, safety and environmental legislation associated with offshore/marine delivery substantial packages.
• Good knowledge of offshore procedures, standards and guides.
• Experience in managing high skilled teams.
Please also note that AVANGRID currently has a COVID-19 vaccination Policy in place that, among other requirements, requires all employees to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status. Any applicant who receives a conditional offer will be required to submit acceptable documentation regarding their COVID-19 vaccination status after receiving such conditional offer and prior to commencing employment. This Policy also requires all employees to either become fully vaccinated or to undergo weekly testing beginning on February 9, 2022. All AVANGRID policies may be modified or discontinued at any time, for any reason at the Company’s full and sole discretion.
- Be a role model
- Be agile
- Collaborate and Share
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Focus to achieve results
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ]
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ]
- Agile Methodology
- Contract Management
- Engineering Design Process
- Environmental Laws