Shift Manager, Mechanical Maintenance - Steel Producing
As a Shift Manager, Mechanical Maintenance - Steel Producing at Cleveland-Cliffs Cleveland Works, you can expect to see your work everywhere; the steels you work with every day are used in building nations. Ideal candidates enjoy hands-on, challenging, family-like environments and are looking for opportunities to develop further in their career.
This position is responsible for managing the day to day mechanical maintenance activities within the respective area of responsibility in #1 Steel Producing to ensure a reliable, safe, and continually improved operation. This position will also be responsible for the supervision of the MTMs within #1 Steel Producing. This person must develop into a maintenance expert on the detailed workings of mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and water systems. This person must act as a coach to their employees, and ensure that they have the tools, and knowledge required to safely perform their job. This job requires management of a spending budget, project management skills, and a thorough understanding of the process needed to properly maintain the equipment in their area. This position will typically be a daylight shift and may require additional hours on an on-call basis.
- This first level supervisory position manages and coordinates the maintenance activities or operations on an assigned shift or multiple shifts within a single operations department or unit
- Requires high level of technical proficiency to supervise production or maintenance activities and assist operators with troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Performs a variety of tasks independently that contributes to the effective communication and instruction of the methods, practices, and programs of the company
- Responsible for personnel matters, including training, development, discipline, safety programs and policies for direct reports
- Supervises completion of work assignments following established department plans; makes daily assignments and participates in training and development of A2 level Shift Managers
- Directs the activities of employees on an assigned shift to ensure maintenance, service, or production functions are performed and completed within established timing, quality, and cost standards
- Monitors established performance indicators and continually works to identify, prioritize, and evaluate opportunities for improvement
- This person would supervise MTM's, provide daily safety contacts, manage part of a $20 mill maintenance budget, ensure environmental compliance, and develop a maintenance strategy that would ensure a high level of equipment reliability
- Purchasing, Operations, Maintenance, Op Tech/Continuous Improvement, Accounting, Engineering, Vendors and Suppliers, Counterparts from other plants
- High School Diploma or GED
- 3 years of mechanical maintenance experience in a manufacturing environment
- 2 years' supervisory experience in a manufacturing/industrial environment for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field, including engineering or a non-technical including business management, operational supervision with 5 years’ experience working in a manufacturing/industrial environment
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
Training And Development