Our Water & Environment group provides a focus for advising our clients on environmental management and sustainability issues including low carbon / circular economies, waste/resource management and environmental audit and compliance Our Europe, Middle East & Africa environmental capability comprises in excess of 1200 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with teams also in Ireland, Poland, Germany, France, Italy, India and the Middle East.
Initially this opportunity will be focused in the South West of England (with Bristol as a base office but with a need to be present in Plymouth on a regular basis). The role at Principal / Associate Director level, depending on proven ability and capability, will involve leading a sustainability programme, providing technical expertise and advice in relation to a range of environmental and sustainability aspects. You will help our Defence client understand, interpret and implement sustainability management at a strategic level as it relates to planning, investment and operations. This will include strategic environmental management, decarbonisation, circular economy and resource efficiency, community and social value, sustainable procurement and stakeholder engagement.
You will be delivering these services to the client with a particular focus on infrastructure, maritime, utilities, industry and government sector context. Therefore, you are likely to be a positive communicator with strong influencing ability, who is able to lead without direct authority and coordinate the work of a small team.
This is a unique opportunity; you will be developing and rolling out a sustainability programme from the outset, using your experience to shape priorities and approaches. Our client is excited by the potential of this programme and hopes to set an example of what can be achieved through this approach. Working in conjunction with our client, we hope this will be a ground-breaking programme of work.
You will be joining a small, committed and enthusiastic project team who look forward to welcoming you and have the support of a larger national and global community of practice who focus on sustainability and sustainable infrastructure solutions.
• A good degree qualification in a relevant environmental/natural science or similar subject;
• A strong technical understanding of sustainability strategy, environmental management and stakeholder engagement on these aspects;
• Knowledge and experience of addressing challenges and opportunities relating to circular economy and resource efficiency, decarbonisation, energy management, community and social value, life cycle assessment and/or sustainable procurement;
• A proven track record of successful project management and delivery on environmental and/or sustainability projects and programmes working in a client-facing role;
• Please note that for this position candidates will be required to obtain UK Security Clearance (some limitations may apply to non-UK Nationals and where individuals have not resided in the UK for all of the last 5 years)
• Chartered Environmentalist or equivalent professional status
• A Masters level qualification (or equivalent) with a Sustainability and or Environmental Management focus
• Proven ability of working within the defence environment
We’re invested in you and your success. Our diverse perspectives and unique backgrounds power our collective strength. By supporting one another and through our culture of caring, we all succeed. The biggest questions spark our curious minds. We clear the way for inventive thinking and exploration, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. We redefine what’s possible. There’s something that drives everyone – and we want you to keep evolving your career, discover unexpected opportunities and ensure you can deliver on tomorrow.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go
‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as
STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and
Stonewall. We are also
Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts. Please also bear in mind that you do not need to meet 100% of the Essential Criteria to be considered for a position with Jacobs.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of
Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website;
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.