Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2020 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Maintenance Engineer within our Deer Park VCM Plant located in Deer Park, TX.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and or transport our products, as our highest priority.
- Ensure that Process Safety and Risk Management objectives are practiced daily through participation in Management of Change, Process Hazards Analysis, Process Safety Hazard Hunter, and Pre-Startup Review responsibilities.
- Support MI program for fixed equipment assets and piping throughout the facility.
- Research, develop, and implement solutions that address fixed equipment reliability and repair.
- Ensure that predictive and preventative maintenance strategies reflect corporate standards and industry best practices.
- Support and monitor the execution of the Rotating Equipment Maintenance (REM) program in accordance with company guidelines, codes, and governmental regulations.
- Ensure Deer Park VCM REM program guidelines are current, and comply with the latest Maintenance Guidelines maintained by Corporate HES Risk Engineering, manufacturers and industry practice.
- Arrange for contract services support for REM program related activities as required. Communicate employee concerns relating to REM activities to appropriate supervision and management.
- Review facility rotating equipment activities to ensure manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, and operation conform to all specifications, codes, standards and procedures.
- Perform formal and informal audits of the REM program elements to ensure compliance to all applicable codes and standards.
- Support and coordinate Corporate HES Risk Engineering and Insurance audits as required.
- Maintain current knowledge of company / government rules and regulations.
- Evaluate capital project scopes and vendor proposals for new equipment purchases.
- Participate in failure mode analyses to identify units posing excessive failure risks and support proposed changes in design.
- Assist in the training / coaching of hourly personnel in repairs and preventative maintenance.
- Maintain knowledge of current practices within the industry related to rotating equipment design, maintenance, troubleshooting, and operation to assist in ensuring success of the REM program.
- Maintain or gain certification in vibration acquisition and analysis to assist in rotating equipment troubleshooting and repair.
- B.S. degree in mechanical engineering with 5 years minimum of experience in plant maintenance or plant engineering.
- In-depth knowledge of industry standards and other applicable codes relating to mechanical systems and rotating equipment.
- Actual experience in design/maintenance of miscellaneous rotating equipment and associated failure analysis is preferred.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and a good working knowledge of SAP.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Must be able to respond to off hour emergencies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- Valid Driver's License
- Physical requirements – Mist be able to lift 40 lbs., climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Complex Problem Solving