Responsible for the overall design, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the networking infrastructure, including component hardware and software. Ensure that the bandwidth, throughput, and latency are appropriate to the user and application requirements, considering what is available and cost effective. This is a higher level position than a network administrator as it includes architectural and overall network responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, and maintain network infrastructure in multiple locations.
- Run internal and external penetration tests quarterly and remediate findings.
- Research and code level all network devices ensuring all devices of a certain model are running the same software according to vendor recommended best practices.
- Maximize uptime for all network components by monitoring and performing preventative maintenance.
- Work with communications brokers and service providers to connect new office and remote locations in a timely manner.
- Design network architecture to maximize security while ensuring the highest levels of throughput and productivity.
- Work closely with each of the other groups in IT to provide the best possible network, uptime and service to the Company’s business units.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- On-call and responsibilities during off-hours to monitor and respond to alerts, outages, and certain helpdesk incidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Licensure
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Five (5) years of LAN/WAN administration experience.
- Two (2) years of LAN Architecture experience.
Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure
- CCNA certification and relevant Cisco Career Certifications.
Required Core Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate clearly with all levels of the user community, as well as Information Technology groups, in verbal and written form.
- Complex understanding of network computer hardware and peripherals.
- Judgment: Demonstrate consistent, logical and rational approach to issues.
- Intelligence: Demonstrate the ability to acquire understanding and absorb new information rapidly.
- Analytical Skills: Identify significant problems and opportunities, analyze problems in depth, and relate and compare data from different sources.
- Team Player: Take personal accountability and lead peers toward support of what is best for the Company.
- Discipline: Behavior in accordance with rules of conduct and a good work ethic is applied daily in routine task management.
- Integrity: Does what is right and is trustworthy.
- Change Management: Actively create and endorse positive change.
- Functions as an individual contributor with no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Job is performed in an office setting with exposure to computer screens and requires regular use of a computer, keyboard, mouse, and communication systems.
- Occasional field location visits may present more strenuous exertion than office work, like walking around a field location and interacting with the user community located there.
- Occasional travel may be required to new offices and remote locations to set up, upgrade, or repair network facilities.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.