Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services\u2014from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance\u2014with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Our Core Values
Every decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
Quality \u2013 We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
Accountability \u2013 Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
Our People \u2013 We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
Our Clients \u2013 We deliver value and exceed our clients\u2019 expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
Innovation \u2013 Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
Meaningful Impact \u2013 We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
This position will offer you the ability to directly apply your knowledge of materials, structural analysis, structural steel design, and reinforced concrete design. As a member of an engineering and design team, you will work on a wide range of power transmission modifications and upgrades to support client recommendations and reviews including creating calculations, document designs, and specifications.
- You will work on challenging assignments that include investigating, trouble-shooting, and solving a wide variety of structural engineering issues.
- You will perform structural analysis and detailed design of steel frames, connections, concrete members, equipment, and foundations.
- Develop integrated structural designs and perform supporting calculations for the planned work.
- You will have direct interface with the client and communicate technical information.
- You will prepare technical specifications for structural materials.
- You will Perform independent reviews of work performed by others, including calculations and drawing preparation.
- Coordinate and provide guidance to other engineers, project managers, client personnel, and suppliers to ensure a complete and timely design.
- Perform reviews of existing facilities to propose upgrades and replacements, and present findings and recommendations to clients and peers.
- You will develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L\u2019s systems of process and associated \u201cCommunities of Practice.\u201d
- You will travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews and to substation locations for construction coordination and field verification of designs.
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- This position requires a BSCE or MSCE from an ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission-approved program with a strong academic background in behavior of materials, structural analysis, structural steel design, and reinforced concrete design.
- Two or more years experience as a member of a project team working on the design and upgrade of electrical substations.
- Ability communicate effectively with the client with appropriate level of technical detail
- Ability to perform occasional walk-downs and visit client site to attend scoping meetings.
- Experience in writing and providing support documentation for structural engineering calculations.
- Must be able to complete assignments within budget and schedule with a high degree of accuracy.
- Technically knowledgeable of the practical application of structural engineering including analysis for structural supports, loads, and design integrity.
- Experience with the design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Proficiency with any of the following programs: MathCad, STAAD PRO, SAP2000, SAFE, RISA 3D and RISA Floor
- Familiarity with design codes and standards such as IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, and ACI 318.
- Excellent written,verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- PE license
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.
- Design Codes