As a member of the Applied Physics team, the Computational Plasma Physicist will help develop relevant and accurate computational models of the plasma dynamics in General Fusion’s Magnetized Target Fusion (MTF) compression architecture. The work will involve incorporating new physical effects into existing code or developing and testing new code. The successful candidate should also be familiar with computational and numerical methods in areas outside of plasma physics, including computational fluid dynamics.
- Working closely with the engineering and science teams to develop models that are supported by the governing physics.
- Modeling component interactions and accurately predicting physical results.
- Taking ownership of the modeling results, ensuring that they meet the needs, in both fidelity and confidence, of the engineering team.
- Actively reconciling model results with experimental physical results and using them to improve the fidelity of the models.
- Evaluating new techniques, software, and computer resources.
Relevant Skills and Experience:
- Computational research experience in plasma physics or magnetohydrodynamics in a Linux/Unix environment
- Strong programming skills and a willingness to learn new methods
- A positive attitude and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience running code on parallel machines
- Familiarity with MHD codes such as VAC or NIMROD
- Familiarity with MATLAB or Python
- Familiarity with experimental methods and electromagnetic theory
The work involved in this project combines a wide range of skill sets, and each team member will need to become familiar with the full scope of the plasma development and understand how their work relates to the whole. General Fusion seeks individuals who are self-motivated, have good communication skills and are comfortable with creative problem solving independently and within a group.
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in plasma physics, fluid mechanics, or a closely related field.
Please send your resume to [ Link removed ] noting “Job Ref# RR-2021-15“ in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
General Fusion is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
- Fluid Mechanics
- Self Motivation
- Positive Attitude