Responsible for managing the daily activities of Joint Interest Billing (JIB) and Accounts Payable (AP) groups. Ensure the accurate and timely processing of invoices and distribution of payments to vendors as well as managing the monthly JIB close process including the allocation of costs to wells and working interest partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage, lead, and develop team of JIB accountants, AP Supervisor, AP Accountants and AP Coders. Train new staff, cross train existing team members, and develop new processes and procedures as necessary.
- Responsible for the full cycle AP process, including manage the AP Supervisor and the team that is responsible for reviewing coding, ensuring costs are properly supported, and financial approval is obtained. Manage the payment process for daily and weekly check runs, review that payments are accurate and appropriate.
- With the AP Supervisor, oversee the AP processing system, coordinate with the AP and IT team as necessary to ensure proper invoice processing and recording into the accounting system, as well as evaluate invoice coding and approval information to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of the process.
- Manage the monthly JIB close process, ensure that development and lease operating costs are properly allocated on a well by well basis and joint interest billings are distributed to working interest owners accurately and timely.
- Work with operations groups in understanding and developing procedures for invoice approval and proper account coding.
- Together with the AP Supervisor, is responsible for vendor 1099 filings and year end reporting requirements.
- Develop and provide cost reporting as necessary to provide to outside departments, including Legal, Financial Reporting, and Operations.
- Review monthly JIB allocations and journal entries to determine that JIB costs are accurate and recorded on a timely basis to comply with the financial statement close monthly, quarterly, and annual timelines. Ensure that JIB costs are billed to working interest partners within Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies (COPAS) procedures and interpretations.
- Review monthly account reconciliations to ensure that JIB and AP accounts are balanced accurately stated.
- Coordination of quarterly reviews and year end audits of JIB and AP accounts with internal and external auditors, as necessary.
- Help evaluate current business practices and systems, recommend ways to improve efficiency and accuracy of key revenue process inputs.
- Maintain effective internal controls over financial reporting related to the JIB and AP processes.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead efforts to respond to joint interest audits from working interest partners as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Licensure
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related business field.
- Seven (7) years of Accounts Payable experience.
- Three (3) years of experience in a lead or supervisory role.
Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure
- Five (5) years of experience in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Required Core Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Accounts Payable processing concepts and applications, and familiarity with the general ledger.
- Thorough knowledge of COPAS Procedures and Interpretations and JIB cost guidelines.
- In depth understanding of oil and gas operations.
- Thorough and functional knowledge of bookkeeping, including how debits and credits affect the balance sheet and income statement.
- Good understanding of Accounts Payable regulations, including those associated with 1099 reporting and employee expense reimbursement.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with proficiency in Excel including PivotTables, V- Lookups, etc.
- Ability to read, interpret, and process documents such as invoices, routine reports, correspondence, policies, and various documentation.
- Able to present, demonstrate, teach, or guide others in performance of assigned work.
- Good collaborative and interpersonal skills with the ability to lead.
- Work effectively in a team environment and demonstrate ability to build and maintain working relationships with team and cross functional teams.
- Able to work independently with minimal guidance and exercise good judgment when completing the tasks.
- Strong written and verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Able to multi-task on a daily basis, be flexible and adapt to changing priorities, tasks, and deadlines.
- Strong problem solving, mathematical and data analysis skills to be able to make accurate calculations, identify, and resolve issues.
- Advanced proficiencies with Accounting Software systems. Working knowledge of Enertia and/or OpenInvoice/GEP software, Sovos Taxport preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow up skills.
- Able to analyze transactional data and compile reports accurately.
- This role will have managerial responsibilities over the JIB and AP staff in the department.
- Responsible for regularly making decisions and/or recommendations concerning:
- Interviewing, hiring and training;
- Plan, appoint, and direct work;
- Appraise productivity and efficiency;
- Recommend advancement, promotions, or other changes in status.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Job is performed in an office setting with exposure to computer screens and requires regular use of a computer, keyboard, mouse, and multi-line telephone system.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee will minimally lift, push, carry and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Be able to bend, stoop, crouch, etc.
- Minimal travel may be required to other locations
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
- Accounts Payable
- Attention To Detail
- Balance Sheet