General Fusion is transforming how the world is energized by developing the first commercially-viable fusion power plant. Fusion will deliver clean, safe, and on-demand power at industrial scale, providing a powerful complement to renewables and a pathway to a zero-emission grid.
Combining new technologies, proven industrial processes, and advances in fundamental fusion science, General Fusion aims to be the first in the world to develop commercial fusion power. Key performance requirements have been demonstrated at the system level, setting the stage for the building of a pre-commercial fusion power prototype.
Does This Sound Like You?
- You’re a common sense, technically savvy, CAD Technician with industry experience in a Mechanical Engineering environment, as a Solidworks expert.
- You are the go-to person for your peers and managers for anything SolidWorks or CAD Modelling related.
- You find ways to automate repetitive tasks so you can focus on the challenging tasks.
- You want to work on a state-of-the-art fully integrated facility.
- You're great at what you do.
- You want to work with a fantastic dynamic team.
- You want to be challenged and make a difference, in your career and in your life.
- Most importantly, you want to change the world…
If this describes you, the role of CAD Technician at General Fusion could be the perfect fit for you!
General Fusion is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team in support of the design of its pre-commercial fusion power prototype, the Fusion Demonstration Plant (FDP). Working with new generation, leading edge technology, the CAD Technician will be responsible for building and maintaining the integrated engineering model of the FDP through all phases of the design. Reporting to the Manager, Compression Engineering, this highly collaborative role will work with an array of Lead and Systems Engineers, as well as with General Fusion’s development partners, to maintain the ‘single source of truth’ of the highly complex integrated FDP model.
(What you’ll be doing!)
- Developing and maintaining the integrated engineering model of General Fusion’s ‘Fusion Demonstration Plant’ prototype from conceptual through to final design. This includes integrating the individually designed systems (by the Lead Engineers) into a single engineering model and managing interfaces and conflicts between systems.
- Providing model outputs such as materials totals, interferences, and space constraints for stakeholders across the program, including engineering partners to General Fusion.
- Maintaining the configuration of the engineering model throughout the design cycle to provide current and accurate model outputs to the required stakeholders.
- Create models of components and system envelopes, and produce technical drawings and presentation graphics as required.
- Monitor systems’ boundaries for interferences and conflicts, work with Systems Leads, Systems Engineers, and external partners to resolve such conflicts.
- Create simplified, but accurate model versions for further analysis by engineers, and physicists.
- Create presentation quality model images for use in marketing and communications documents.
- Create tools to make our approach to using Solidworks more efficient and consistent.
Relevant Skills and Experience:
(What You Bring!)
- Demonstrated expertise in Solidworks, including:
- Handling large assemblies (1000s of parts)
- Using multiple assembly configurations
- Creating BOMs and exploded assembly views
- Creating detailed production drawings with input from Lead Engineers
- Roughing in solid models from scratch with input from Lead Engineers
- Experience in managing complex, multi-user engineering models including experience with configuration management and full design life cycles.
- Excellent communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to work with others across different business units.
- Experience on projects that transition novel, emerging technologies into one-of-a-kind engineering projects.
Preferred (any of the following):
- Experience in Solidworks PDM.
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Exposure to engineering design, and experience performing basic. mechanical design calculations.
- Experience with Systems Engineering, specifically with respect to collaborating across multiple systems and engineering disciplines.
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology, or similar
- Relevant industry experience
What We Offer:
(What We Can Provide You!)
- Flexible hours
- Four weeks’ vacation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- RRSP Contribution
- Support for professional development
- Great company culture – social events, food trucks, bike rides, Sun Run, etc.
Please send your resume to [ Link removed ] noting “Job Ref# RR-2021-13“ in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
General Fusion is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
Engineering Design Process