Great opportunity to work for an Energy Technology Company to support the delivery of a large product upgrade program to market leading aerospace test equipment. The upgrade package is mainly electronic with a small number of critical mechanical parts.
As a technical author, you will have to establish an understanding of the product and then design and write documentation to explain it to users. You may also provide this information in various other formats including interactive html.
The successful applicant will be expected to create, edit and format user manuals in MIL-STD-3001 format using PTC Arbortext from both marked up copy and real world experience of the equipment. Documents will be delivered in XML & PDF formats.
They will be expected to support formal validation of the produced manuals both internally and with the customer.
They will be expected to support customer facing activities related to the final submission of the project.Responsibilities
Qualification and Requirements
- Creating, editing, or rewriting of user manuals, service manuals and html help files for industrial and aerospace applications
- Deciding how best to organise and present the documentation in line with Mil-Std-3001
- Obtaining a thorough understanding of a product to prepare its technical documentation. This may require hands-on experience with the product
- Collaborating with the product design team to clarify technical content
- Content editing and correction, incorporating feedback from peer review
- Working with translators and print houses
- Coordinating or preparing illustrations
- Creating and maintaining document templates
- Creating and maintaining style guides
- Storage of documents and source material on a document management system
- Fluent in English
- Clear and concise writing skills
- The ability to produce technical documentation in simplified technical English
- A concern for verbal consistency and an appreciation of tone and style
- An awareness of graphic design, and the processes involved in printing and online publishing
- High level of computer literacy
- Experience of PTC Arbortext
- Experience of working to MIL-STD-3001
- Experience of manual validation
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- An organised and methodical approach
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Creating work schedules
- Able to see how their work impacts the team's ability to deliver
- Holds cross functional experience (mechanical / electronic / software)
- Experience of Pressure sources and measurement equipment and its risks
- Working knowledge of FrameMaker, Word, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
- Experience of working on government / military projects
- Experience of CGM graphics files with hotspot cross references
- Experience of Solidworks / Pro-E
Our role in supporting diversity
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.
Portable Document Format
Microsoft Compiled Html Help
Adobe Frame Maker