Local Unit & Position Description
Why you should work with us? Because within DNV - Energy's Renewables Advisory group, organizational culture, and more specifically how we collectively influence the world for future generations, matters deeply to us. Our team works every day to champion the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society and the planet. DNV Energy has already been involved in the deployment of over 250 GW of solar, wind, and storage all over the world. Our high-performance and innovative team endeavors to achieve our purpose through the success of our customers. Our approach reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world.
DNV – Energy Sysyems is seeking a Solar Energy Analyst to join our team. The primary function of this position is to assess the solar resource and expected energy output of proposed or operational solar projects across North America. We use a variety of analytical tools including Python to provide robust, tested, repeatable, and statistically significant conclusions to our customers. We don’t expect you to know everything, but we are looking for open minds and fast learners who are driven by the desire to contribute to the energy transition and halt the climate crisis. If this seems interesting to you, then please continue reading to learn more about this position.
This position may be based in our offices in Toronto, CA or Montreal, CA
What You'll Do
- Conduct long-term solar resource and energy production assessments,
- Analyze climate and solar plant operational performance data.
- Develop insights from aggregated solar databases to feed back into pre-construction energy assessments
- Research the latest solar production technology and develop new methods to improve energy assessments.
- Support on-going energy assessment validation cycle by researching additional loss factors and create process to implement in energy assessment.
- Work across all scales of solar including residential, commercial and industrial, and utility-scale.
- Support business development.
- Inspect sites and measurement equipment.
- Conduct statistical uncertainty analyses.
- Write technical reports and communicate results to customers.
- Create reusable analyses using advanced analytical tools like Python that are tested and repeatable.
- Collaborate with colleagues both at DNV and at other academic and government institutions to present new methods to improve energy assessments for solar and storage.
What Is Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant engineering, atmospheric science, or quantitative field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 4+ years of experience in solar resource assessment or solar energy modeling.
- Understanding of renewable energy industry measurement techniques and standards preferred
- Familiarity with solar energy project execution and finance preferred.
- Strong desire to use Python programming, Python data science packages (e.g., NumPy and pandas), and version control systems (e.g., Git) is a plus.
- Comprehensive understanding of fundamental solar modeling principles, including familiarity with PVSyst, SAM, pvlib python, or SolarFarmer.
- Experience in uncertainty and statistical data analysis
- Proficiency working with data analysis tools (Python, R, SQL, MATLAB, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to streamline process by implementation of process improvement techniques
- Skill to manage multiple projects at a time and to approach tasks with a Customer-centric mindset. This is a seller-doer role, which requires both technical rigor and commercial acumen. Preferred candidates will have a high curiosity and desire to learn.
- Ability to write technical reports and commercial correspondence to verbally convey information in a clear and concise manner in English.
- At DNV safety is paramount. The ideal candidate will have a strong health, safety, and environmental mindset.
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 10% of the time.
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening.
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package. We value diversity, equity and inclusion and want you to bring your whole self to work each day. Read more here:
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see:
Company & Business Area Description
Please visit our website at www.dnv.com
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. Operating in more than 100 countries, our professionals are dedicated to helping customers in the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables and other industries to make the world safer, smarter and greener.
- Energy Production
- Storage (Computing)
- Python (Programming Language)
- Num Py