Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs is looking for a Corrosion Scientist to join our world-class corrosion research team. Our experimental and theoretical research is mainly in support of the nuclear industry. There is a particular emphasis on understanding, predicting and preventing environmentally assisted cracking and corrosion in safety critical structures.
Our corrosion laboratories have an extensive range of modern facilities and our team of scientists and engineers are at the forefront of applied research in this field in the UK and overseas.
Jacobs is a global leader in the delivery of projects, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets.
You will be responsible for the planning, leading and execution of applied research and development projects involving both experimental and analytical components. Responsibilities include:
• Planning and performing experimental work in a safe and controlled manner in line with best practice and safety procedures.
• Definition of technical work activities conduct of research programmes and analysis and interpretation of experimental data.
• Development of novel experimental or analytical techniques.
• Presentation of results and conclusions of studies to customers.
• Where appropriate, publication of work at external conferences or in technical journals.
The role will be a standard working week, Monday to Friday. However, there may be occasional requirements to work outside of these hours with advanced notice.
Due to the nature of the work being undertaken, security clearance will be required prior to commencement of employment.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
In order to be able to develop as necessary in this post you must be qualified in materials, chemistry or a related discipline. Laboratory experience is essential since some activities have a large component of experimental work. Proven experience in testing in a corrosion laboratory, and use of instrumentation such as DCPD, reference electrodes etc. would be extremely advantageous. Also highly desirable is experience or demonstrable aptitude as follows:
• An ability to plan and conduct research to meet required technical objectives, to interpret the results in the context of customer needs and to present the conclusions orally and in written reports.
• Operation of experimental rigs at high pressure and temperature.
• Knowledge and experience in materials science and associated characterisation techniques.
• An ability to motivate and develop a team as well as lead research work.
Detailed knowledge of environmentally assisted fatigue is desirable, although this will be enhanced through on-the-job training.
• Strong technical orientation.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, within a team and customer facing.
• Good communicator both orally and in writing.
• Motivated and committed to strong technical delivery in a commercial environment .
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.