Operations Shift Manager, Iron Producing
Cleveland-Cliffs Steel has an immediate opportunity for an Operations Shift Manager
at our Indiana Harbor, Indiana operation. The Operations Shift Manager coordinates the Safety and Quality activities and overseas production of a production line in accordance with safety, material quality and production standards.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with safety and environmental standards. Perform safety, quality and environmental audits on a timely basis.
- Uphold and enforce safety, environmental, job procedures and maintain general discipline of the crew
- Monitor the operation and intercede promptly with corrective action, coordinating multiple disciplines in the execution of these duties.
- Schedule and supervise hourly personnel, working directly with them on the shop floor and from the shift manager’s office. Ensure direct reports receive proper training and utilization, while establishing an equitable relationship focused on excellence in safety and production.
- Work with maintenance organization, planners, and schedulers in developing work lists for repair and/or preventative maintenance items.
- Make operational decisions in high-stress situations, following direction from superiors and abiding by corporate policies and procedures.
- Develop and perform studies to identify problems, make recommendations to achieve desired improvements, and communicate process improvement ideas to workforce that promote reliability, quality and productivity.
- Supervise a turn crew of operating and maintenance personnel in the operating department to which assigned.
- Communicate with upstream and downstream operations and non-ArcelorMittal contractors to coordinate work, deliveries and service
- Two-year technical or supervisory degree, or high school diploma with significant experience.
- Two years of industrial/manufacturing experience
- Available to work rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays, in a multi-level organization that operates 24/7, and work extended hours as needed.
- Self-motivated with minimal direction required for day to day operations.
- Proven team building skills, works well with others of diverse backgrounds, and able to motivate others.
- Proven communication (verbal and written), analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
- Must be able to work in a hot, dusty environment. Climbing stairs, ladders, and walking inclines. Able to work/walk safely on uneven surfaces. Able to work outdoors in all weather.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution in supervision, technology, or related discipline.
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience in steel mill, manufacturing, process, production or equivalent facility.
- Successful track record working with a represented workforce in a heavy industrial setting.
- Knowledge of safety and health policies including key components of the OSHA regulations ASTM specifications.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The Company is vertically integrated from mined raw materials, direct reduced iron, and ferrous scrap to primary steelmaking and downstream finishing, stamping, tooling, and tubing. We offer an excellent total compensation package including top pay with variable compensation opportunity, health insurance, retirement plan, education assistance, paid time off and more!.
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that all Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Business Process Improvement
- Corrective And Preventive Action (Capa)
- Environmental Auditing
- Health Policies
- Logistics Operations