Elia Grid International (EGI) offers consultancy and engineering services to a diverse and international client base in the power sector.
Based on innovative and proven expertise, combined with hands-on experience from our European Transmission Systems Operators (Elia in Belgium and 50Hertz in Germany), Elia Grid International is the trusted partner in delivering solutions for the challenges of the energy transition.
Our clients can rely on a team of experts who have developed valuable competencies within the Elia Group and also from international assignments for third parties.
Elia Grid International has offices in Brussels, Berlin, Dubai, Doha and Singapore.
Elia Grid International is seeking an experienced HV Project Manager to be responsible for delivering expertise in all aspects of high voltage AC and DC cable systems experience, both onshore and offshore.
As a key expert and engineer, you will be accountable for implementing and delivering large cable projects, coordinating and directing the project team members and liaising with the lead project director. Your time will be split between being mobilized on international projects on a full-time basis and being stationed in our of our head offices.
As a key engineer, you will interact with our clients, partners and relevant departments within the Elia Group organization. You will support our clients in their project development efforts with a constant focus on quality and overall performance.
- Identify, assess and compare alternative solutions and provide advice on the best technical solutions for a specific project given the needs and objectives of the client and prevailing external factors.
- Develop and review functional specifications of HV cable systems with a focus on performance requirements tailored to the needs of a specific client and developed in such a way as to support fair competition and market innovation.
- Assist procurement experts and legal counsel in the development, implementation and execution of a viable procurement approach for HV cables that ensures open and fair competition, compliance with the client’s internal procedures and processes and adherence to the project’s specifications and requirements.
- Ability to lead all technical discussions and negotiations with manufacturers, suppliers and contractors during tendering and provide advice to the client on bid non-compliances, viable alternative solutions and scope gaps
- Complete detailed design of cable systems (including accessories and cable protection system) with close collaboration with cable suppliers and installation contractors
- All aspects of cable system design including studies to identify preliminary cable sizing and cable loss calculations
- Front End Engineering Design (FEED) for identifying optimal voltage and cable types
- Identifying submarine and underground installation requirements including cable burial assessments
- Overseeing the preparation of design drawings e.g. planning applications and tender packages
- Preparation of technical and commercial specifications for supply, installation and maintenance contracts ensuring quality, best practices and excellent HSE performance requirements
- Performing tender evaluations and negotiations
- Monitoring of manufacturing, factory testing and installation activities for quality assurance and quality control throughout a cable project
- Reviewing technical reports, cable system design and system studies supplied by the cable suppliers, installation contractors and other third party companies
- Supporting development and monitoring of project budgets, schedules and progress
- Contribute to the identification and management of project risks, opportunities and mitigation plans
- Technical due diligence / advisory services
- Business development to generate leads, secure opportunities and prepare proposals
- Prepare and deliver presentations to clients
- Mentoring and developing junior engineers within the department
- Maintaining close coordination with other relevant Practices
- Undertake thought leadership activities (e.g. speaker at conference, panelist, whitepaper, etc.) and promote EGI’s know-how in the Power and T&D sector
- Accountable for the effective delivery of the assigned tasks and deliverables of the project on schedule, within budget and at the required level of quality.
- Manage scope changes in a systematic and controlled manner, assess their impact on project scope, schedule, budget and risks and adopt appropriate approval procedures.
- Lead the project team and ensures coordination with key stakeholders such as partners, other consultants, the client, manufacturers, supplies, contractors, regulators and governmental officials.
- Undertake site visits/surveys as required as part of the design activities or as part of site support activities.
- Ensure risks are proactively identified, assessed and managed to avoid adverse impacts on the project.
- Engage in client interface management and day to day coordination.
- Engage in stakeholder identification, management and communication.
- Participate in commercial discussions with clients in coordination with the Project Director.
- Prepare project reports to the customer in coordination with the Project Director.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of ten years of experience in a similar position
- Prior experience in working for a transmission utility contractor consultant.
- Experience in design, manufacturing, construction and/or operations of large electrical systems, emphasizing insulated cable systems
- Excellent understanding of technical specifications for high voltage (AC and DC) cables from 66kV to 525kV
- Knowledge of International Standards (CIGRE, IEC, etc.) for subsea cables, cable accessories, cable protection systems and the related components
- Experience of cable thermal rating, power loss, isotherms, induced voltages and currents, transient voltage and cable pulling tension calculations
- Sound knowledge of the cable supply chain and market conditions
- Ability to attend and witness FAT at cable and fiber optic cable manufacturing facilities and prepare Factory Audit reports
- Preferably experience with cable installation and testing
- Understanding of the design issues related to installation methods and conditions
- Proven technical capabilities associated with the design, configuration, manufacture, installation and commissioning and testing of cable systems
- Proven ability to work with internal and external parties, e.g. equipment suppliers, manufacturers, service providers.
- Proven ability to work on complex technical projects as well as leading multidisciplinary and culturally varied teams in international projects as a project manager or project director.
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical or commercial issues to peers, clients and senior managers.
- Capability to engage and establish credibility with senior stakeholders.
- Fluency in English, both in writing and speaking, is a must. Knowledge of German or French mandatory. Dutch, Arabic and/or any other languages would be an asset.
- Creative, proactive, client-oriented, result-driven, autonomous.
- Mobility and flexibility, willing to travel abroad or become an expat for a 2 to 5 year mission depending on project needs.
- Prior knowledge in offshore projects and marine works is an asset.
- Prior knowledge with EU tendering procedures, international bank-financed projects and standard EPC contracts such as for example FIDIC is an asset.
More than offering you a job, we promise you an exciting, professional and international environment in a fast-growing company with unique training and personal development opportunities that will boost your career and transform you into a world-leading power expert. On top of that, we offer a comprehensive compensation package with an attractive salary and an extensive array of fringe benefits.
Berlin or Brussels
Frequent travelling to client sites in regions of activity
Please send your application in English incl. motivation letter and salary expectation.
- Business Development
- Coaching And Mentoring