FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
Application Configuration Analyst members of the IT Advanced Metering (AMI) Systems team drive and participate in the configuration, administration, support, and enhancements of FirstEnergy’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) environment which includes the Collection Engine, Meter Data Management System, and Field Network Director systems. The work focuses on maintaining a system architecture that meets the end-user requirements, while maintaining compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements. In addition, provide technical leadership for relevant projects.
Manage ITRON OpenWay Collection Engine (OWCE), ITRON Meter Data Management System (MDM), and CISCO Field Network Director (FND) software on FirstEnergy's standard infrastructure and network platforms.
- Develop and maintain software configuration and scripting as well as integration and interfaces between systems.
- Manage the testing and deployment of patches and software upgrades.
- Perform system security administration tasks.
- Develop data queries and reporting solutions to meet business and regulatory requirements.
- Solve complex problems and troubleshoot functionality for issue identification (including debugging); work in conjunction with other IT personnel.
- Be an active participant in a collaborative work environment gathering requirements from business stakeholders for new development projects.
- Develop technical designs and estimates to meet the business needs while supporting the company’s overall IT direction and standards.
- Create and maintain system documentation and procedures to ensure governance and standards.
- Creating and execute comprehensive unit, system, and integration test plans.
- Providing production support of implemented functionality
Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, related technical discipline, or equivalent. Equivalent in hands-on experience will also be considered.
Minimum of 2 years related-level experience, which includes but is not limited to:
- Configuring or administering systems to function per business requirements.
- Troubleshooting system or application issues and responding to business client inquiries.
- Documenting business requirements and following them through the systems lifecycle process.
- Familiarity with IT change management processes and procedures.
- Familiarity with IT Service Manager and application support processes.
- Ability and willingness to travel to company sites, work flexible hours, and be available for call-in and after-hours support (7X24 operations).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels and with varying backgrounds.
- Experience in providing responsive and effective customer service.
- Highly motivated to work independently and productively within a virtual environment (i.e. working with remote co-workers using virtual technologies).
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and plan work, work on multiple concurrent tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with client/server environments.
- Computer programming skills such as Microsoft .NET, Shell scripting, etc.
- Data communications and networking knowledge.
- Experience with relational databases (Oracle, MS SQL, and TeraData), including reading and revising data through software applications is a plus
- Knowledge in areas such as security, network, integration, and mobility
- Linux or Unix Server experience.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and solve non-routine problems with little or no guidance.
- Experience with utility industry, advanced metering infrastructure, SAP, and software application configuration a plus
- Participation in at least 1 significant IT software implementation project or upgrade preferred.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Testing, Compliance, Developer, Computer Science, Law, Technology, Legal
- .Net Framework
- Business Requirements
- Change Management
- Client Server Models