My client is a leading technology innovation and research centre that accelerate the creation and growth of UK companies in offshore renewable energy. They have an exciting opportunity for a Programme Manager, supporting the development and commercialisation of future offshore renewable energy technologies through applied research in collaboration with both national and international academia and via direct innovation with SMEs and the broader supply chain. At €46million, this project is game-changing for the European tidal stream energy sector installing up to 8MW of new tidal capacity across 5 sites in the channel region, driving innovation and development of new products and services.
The primary objective of the Programme Manager is to ensure that the project is successfully delivered within the constraints of the contract timescales, budget and financial structure. As Programme Manager you will drive and coordinate the activities of the multi-disciplined project team; a mix of internal and external specialists, and oversee the activities of the project partners a mix of UK/FR tidal technology developers, tidal sites and development agencies.
A high volume of stakeholder engagement is required across the Programme, comprising of 18 partners spread across an expansive geographic area; Northern France up to the Orkney Islands in Scotland. The Programme Manager will provide timely and accurate financial / progress related reporting to ensure both partners and funding bodies are consistently updated.
When current Covid-19 restrictions are eased, and when it is safe to do so, the Programme Manager will visit the technology developers, observing the build and deployment of turbines and ensuring that the highest standards of project management are applied and that these standards shall be 'leading edge', consistent and sustainable.
They will be responsible for:
* Ensuring project management is consistent with strategy and delivered according to company policies and procedures.
* Plan, manage and coordinate delivery of project tasks to ensure they are delivered on-time and to budget.
* Define HSEQ objectives and implement these.
* Coordinate financial management.
* Conduct periodic reviews to ensure operations are conducted safely and at a high quality.
* Identify, assess and manage project risks.
* Communicate effectively both internally and externally, producing regular reports.
* Manage project changes with flexibility and develop strategies for conflict management.
The successful candidate will have a strong engineering background and be able to confidently represent technical topics with credibility to a variety of audiences. You will be adept at the timely coordination of activities and will likely come from a project-oriented background within an engineering space. This position is responsible for coordinating project management guidance, standards and acceptance criteria, delivering the programme within the constraints of the agreed timescales, budget and financial structures. You will also define Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality (HSEQ) objectives and implement controls, in conjunction with assessing, identifying and managing project risks.
What do I need to qualify for this role?
* A degree or equivalent in a technical discipline
* A recognised project management certificate or diploma
* A minimum of 5 years proven project management experience within a technical sector such as energy, utilities, construction
* Demonstrable experience in managing European-funded projects
* A track record of successfully leading multi-discipline teams in the delivery of projects and programmes
* Experience of negotiating and managing commercial contracts
* Awareness of occupational Health & Safety issues
The following are desirable:
* Chartered status in a technical discipline
* Experience of public funded projects and knowledge of public procurement rules
* Sound relationship management skills and confidence working with Project Directors, Senior Management (internal and external) and consultants
* Sound planning and analysis skills with the ability to look forward and anticipate problems and thereafter plan and implement solutions to negate the effect of such problems
* Problem solving - dealing with conflicting requirements
* High capacity for change and experience of leading others through change
* Contribute (or ensure resources are available) to early development projects, giving advice to the Project Teams on 'deliverability' and commercialisation
* Understanding written and spoken French language
This position provides an exciting opportunity to make a lasting difference to a pioneering programme in the tidal stream energy sector. It comes with a competitive salary plus generous holiday and pension packages.