Principal Advisor - Mining
Make an impact and influence future outcomes on a high-profile project
- Studies focus with rapid transition to operations
- Excellent remuneration and benefits package
- Be an integral part of our Surface Mining Team based in Brisbane
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
About the job
It’s an exciting time to be joining our team, with the acceleration of studies for our significant greenfield discovery of our Simandou Project to realise value from the world-class Simandou iron ore deposit.
The primary purpose of the Principal Advisor Mining will be to provide and co-ordinate the strategic development of the project. This will lead in to the future operational support for the Simandou project in Guinea, Africa. This support will be focused on maintaining and / or delivering the maximum value for RTC. The role will be effective by harnessing the resources, systems and practices of Rio Tinto and channelling them across various external consultancies and internal technical teams. This work will be carried out in the context of providing technical solutions and support that consider the longer-term strategic development of the asset and the JV.
This new opportunity is a key role within the Surface Mining team and will encompass a broad range of accountabilities and is responsible for providing high quality representation of RTC and general operational advice to 3rd party consultees & JV operators through to senior management.
You will be a key liaison point between the Simndou study and the Copper technical team. You will need to ensure that the fast-evolving technical information is incorporated throughout the study process and includes working with the project’s Mine Engineers, Hydrogeologists, Geologists, Infrastructure Geotechnical and Tailings specialists.
This will be a challenging and fast-paced role, requiring you to confidently navigate through some uncertainties.
As a key role within the project team the following is required…
- Established experience in a mining or mineral processing operations;
- Tertiary qualified in Mining Engineering - Additional qualifications in Commerce, Finance or an MBA are highly desirable;
- Experience in mine planning;
- Experience with the development and implementation of capital business plans;
- Demonstrated commercial insight, strategic thinking and business acumen;
- Provides technical support to making the best possible capital allocation decisions;
- Provide technical expertise and analysis on various projects;
- Provide input and technical evaluation on related projects;
- Support and drive continuous improvement across the project
- Preparing and planning risk assessments with key stakeholders;
What You’ll Bring
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- A suitable degree qualification in mining or civil engineering
- Extensive surface mining operational and projects experience
- Demonstrated ability to conduct strategic options analysis of projects
- Demonstrated communication skills, including an ability to build relationships with both internal stakeholders and external consultancies
- You will be a highly motivated individual with a strong technical aptitude in the field, ideally with significant exposure to mining operations and the metals & mining industry in general
- You must possess a high understanding of project management, project development and engineering work methodology.
- Excellent writing skills, attention to detail and an ability to problem solve
- Strong focus on Safety
- Capability in French language (written and or spoken) is considered advantageous.
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your personal growth and ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
Where you will be working
The role is ideally based in our Brisbane hub as part of our Rio Tinto Copper Surface Mining technical team.
The Rio Tinto Copper group is a global organisation with operations in the U.S. (Kennecott Utah Copper, “RTKC”, and Resolution), Mongolia (Oyu Tolgoi) and Western Australia (Winu Cu-Au project). The portfolio also includes interests in a non-managed joint venture in Chile, in addition to exploration & evaluation interests and other minor investments
About Rio Tinto
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we support you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.