*Position Title*: Electrical Power System Engineer
*Work Location*: Allentown, PA area
*Work environment*: Office Building
*Who does this position report to*? Sr. Manager of Engineering and Technology
*Why is this position open*? Company is growing
*Overview*: The Electrical Power System Engineer is responsible for overall execution of electrical engineering activity during proposal development, project execution, construction and ongoing plant operations. The incumbent will also interact with the customer representatives on a periodic basis along with developing a positive, productive working relationships with vendors and the company’s Operating and Maintenance team. Travel will be necessary to build and maintain relationships with company personnel, vendors and customer representatives. Support will also be needed during system checkout and commissioning that will require dedicated focus remotely or at location.
* Ensure overall electrical design is national, regional and industry code compliant and meets all required safety standards.
* Analyze customer available power systems, assess/recommend optimal electrical substation and distribution design for new opportunities, and provide electrical system input to proposal and estimate development.
* Create power and distribution system models using industry standard tools (e.g., SKM Power Tools, ETAP, etc.) and maintain the models throughout the project and into ongoing plant operations.
* Engineer and design MV substations and MV/LV power distribution systems. Typical system includes 13.8 KV/4160 V Transformers, 13.8 KV/480V Transformers, Neutral Grounding Resistors, 15 KV Switchgear, 5 KV Switchgear, 5 KV Motor Control Centers, 2 480V Switchgear, 480V Switchboard, 480V Panel Boards, 4160V and 480V Induction Motors, 480V VFDs, and 208V/120V power and lighting distribution.
* Perform Short Circuit and Arc Flash Analysis.
* Interface with customer engineer and inspection authorities on all electrical issues.
* Write electrical equipment technical specs for procurement, provide technical evaluation of electrical equipment bids and participate in final vendor selection.
* Review and approve drawing submittals from electrical equipment suppliers, local utilities, and customer’s engineer.
* Determine protective relay settings (transformer, feeder, and motor protective relays) and program relays as required.
* Perform motor starting studies and review and approve all electrical system information provided by packaged equipment suppliers (dryer, compressors, cooling towers, etc.).
* Interface with Controls Engineer, Systems Engineer, and SCADA system supplier to ensure all electrical system I/O is properly accounted for and reflected appropriately on the Process and Instrument Diagram.
* Develop and maintain detailed cable schedules required to support fabrication and construction.
* Inspect and checkout electrical distribution equipment at the vendor shop and in the field during commissioning.
* Develop and maintain MV and LV Electrical Single Lines to support proposals, projects, and ongoing operations.
* Develop electrical physical and schematic drawings from 3D model to indicate wiring, conduit and cable tray required to connect equipment.
* Review and approve contractor and fabricator electrical submittals.
* Develop detailed design/fabrication packages for specialty panels (e.g. Remote Breaker Control Panel) and special control schematics for equipment (e.g. Glycol pumps with Hand/Off/Auto mode)
* Troubleshoot and resolve electrical issues encountered during fabrication, construction, commissioning, and ongoing plant operations.
* Interface with utility companies as required on electrical supply, incentives, etc.
* Support commissioning and startup of new facilities
* Provide operator training on Electrical Distribution Systems
* Develop or contribute to development of, engineering work processes and operating procedures
* Provide technical support and input to sales, business development and new technology development
* 5+ years demonstrated experience in electrical power system engineering. Experience on utility electrical power system projects or distributed energy resource projects is strongly preferred.
* Very strong knowledge of NEC, NFPA, and other industry related codes.
* Experience with power system modelling and analysis tools (e.g., SKM Power Tools, ETAP, etc.)
* Experience with 2D and 3D CAD tools
* Certification as an Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE) in any state desired.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills along with ability to effectively interface with customers and vendors.
* Travel up to 20% of time with extended time at site possible during staging, commissioning, and startup.
*Education*: BS in Electrical Engineering or related electrical power systems field 5+ years of direct 3 engineering experience within an electric utility or MS in Electrical Engineering or related electrical power systems field with 2+ years of direct engineering experience
*Work Hours and Schedule*: Standard Business Hours
*Is there travel involved*? Travel up to 20% of time with extended time at site possible during staging, commissioning, and startup.
*Dress code*: Business Casual
*Target Start Date*: ASAP
Aavalar Consulting is a trusted technology staffing partner that helps technology leaders connect with and deploy in-demand, skilled IT and Engineering professionals at client sites across the Mid-Atlantic region. Since 1999, Aavalar Consulting has built an award-winning reputation with over one hundred of the most innovative Fortune 500 and mid-market companies to deliver substantial value through a broad set of technology consulting and IT staffing services that include: Staff Augmentation, Interim Technology Executives, and Search and Recruitment for IT and Engineering.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $130,000.00 per year
* Dental insurance
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Allentown, PA: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
* high voltage power design: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location
- Business Development
- Cladding (Construction)
- Control Panels
- Electric Utility