Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS’s ultimate mission is to deploy 10,000 fusion power plants in time to make a difference against climate change. This starts with the development of the first ARC power plant. Our Head of Power Business will play the leading role in creating CFS’s fusion power business unit, developing the strategy and driving the execution of the power development milestones for the team that will deploy the first fusion power plants in the world. This role will be responsible for leading the market development, origination efforts, and project development strategy and to execute the fastest possible market adoption of our ARC power plants.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial leader who is results-oriented, can organize cross-functional teams and think flexibly and strategically. You are the ideal candidate if you passionately care about climate change, are an expert in the power sector with experience in the development of utility-scale power projects, and see the canonical challenge of cleantech’s First-of-a-Kind plant as an exciting opportunity.This team member will:
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Lead and drive CFS’s ARC development strategy resulting in signed project sponsor agreements to build the first cohort of first-of-a-kind fusion generated power plants
- Analyze global power markets, develop the criteria and framework to identify beachhead markets and the corresponding power purchase agreement counterparties and project development partners
- Develop valuation models, analyzing the economic merits and risks associated with potential ARC projects
- Lead the coordination of all stages of project development, from identification of sites through to achieving notice-to-proceed status
- Recruit, lead and grow CFS’s global power project development team, including developers and technical personnel to support execution. Evaluate options to partner for capability.
- Identify potential project sponsors, develop and create presentation materials and lead discovery conversations
- Develop the assets and materials used to engage with partners and offtakes
- Create multi-year engagement plan for top project sponsor candidates
- Build external relationships and represent CFS with all the relevant project sponsors,, partners, financiers, state/provincial/local officials, and other stakeholders in future ARC powerplants
- Lead strategy and negotiations with project sponsors and related parties to support the financing and construction of the first ARC power plants
- Continue to build the project pipeline for future ARCs and manage multiple projects
- 10+ years of energy industry experience in a business development or project development role, with a successful track record of project development; baseload/thermal power projects a plus
- Knowledge of the electric utility industry and electric energy markets
- Experience managing and mentoring teams in a fast- paced, high-growth environment
- Experience with financial modeling, structuring, and negotiating project finance transactions
- Experience with global energy market analysis
- Experience with various power project contract structures (PPA, Build Own Transfer, etc.) and project finance transactions
- Strong network in utilities, offtakes, project developers, and project finance
- Previous experience in the commercialization of a first-of-kind energy technology a plus
- Exceptional leadership, communication, and influencing skills
- Ability to balance strategic vision with detailed execution plans
- Collaborative mindset and the ability to lead through influence across multi-functional teams
- High degree of comfort with ambiguity with an ability to navigate uncertainty
- A mix of technical and business backgrounds is preferred, but not required
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.