Job Title: Engineer Application IV
Reports To: Director, Application Engineering
Position Summary: Under general supervision is responsible for application engineering activities, which include technical evaluation of customer specifications for processing and treating equipment packages, technology selection, solution development, and technical support to proposal team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Able to meet deadlines, concurrently balancing multiple project priorities, develop the work and interface with others in a team environment.
- Assists less experienced application engineers on technical issues related to preparation of proposals and evaluation of equipment performance to assure the best solution is applied.
- Thorough understanding of design, specifying and selection of gas processing equipment (i.e. heat exchangers, separators, fractionation towers, pumps, turbo expanders, compressors, etc.). Performs engineering calculations to size equipment accordingly.
- Working knowledge of vessels, piping, manual valves and auxiliary systems to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Capable of properly specifying equipment to be purchased from outside suppliers along with obtaining and analyzing competitive bids from a technical and financial stand-point. Should be capable of properly documenting the evaluation such as bid-tabs.
- Complies with all applicable safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and other internal / external team disciplines.
- Complies with Exterran P&T Engineering standards and guidelines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of industry codes and standards, ASME, API, NEC, OSHA terms and guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of natural gas treating, compression, and hydrocarbon processing, as required by the Company product family for which the individual is responsible.
- Develops P&ID’s from origination to completion, understands control concepts, and can specify effective control loops on P&IDs.
- Ensures process systems are designed and engineered to meet customer’s requirements in a technically efficient and commercially viable manner.
- Organize process engineering and technical information into a written proposal package, including but not limited to: Process Descriptions, Simulation PFDs and HMBs, equipment lists, utility summaries, P&IDs and Data Sheets.
- Performs complex analyses of customer requirements to identify potential solution offerings by the company, both for the products produced by company or bought out for specific applications, providing the appropriate process or equipment selection(s).
- Possesses a strong knowledge of fluid dynamics and hydraulics. Develops line sizing for P&IDs to meet process and project hydraulic requirements. Maintains continuity in system pressure and temperatures.
- Provides engineering calculations for complete heat and material balances, line sizing for all systems, equipment sizing including hydraulic level specification, retention and settling times.
- Provides engineering to evaluate customer comments on approval drawings for technical and commercial content additions and supports facility fabrication and shop questions during assembly of equipment.
- Read and interpret engineering data and customer specifications, including industry codes and specifications for valves, flanges, fittings, engineering layouts, etc.
- Some travel may be required to support customer inquiries, plant commissioning, startups, PHAs, or HAZOPs.
- Supports Business Development Managers and Proposal Managers in the quoting process by preparing technical responses for proposals.
- Supports commissioning services to monitor field problems, evaluate and troubleshoot plant performance and warranty claims and assist in finding cost effective solutions along with implementing efficient corrective actions to avoid future problems.
- Works closely with Project Managers assigned to the project to ensure that scope of supply and design parameters are clear and well defined.
- Works with manufacturing during fabrication and provides support to field personnel during on-site field checkout and commissioning of equipment.
- Works with the drafters to assure that the drafting requirements and design intent of the project are met.
- Requires employee to constantly type and use a computer and other office equipment, such as copier, printer, calendar, telephones, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant industry experience
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering
Required Experience & Skills
- Experience with packaging design, skid design, ASME - section 8 pressure vessel design.
- Experience with rating and sizing heat exchangers using HTRI.
- Extensive background and knowledge of process safety concepts.
- Hysys and Protreat experience.
- Experience developing P&ID’s.
- Experience with plant controls.
- 10+ years’ experience in the design of gas processing and treating plants.
- Knowledge of industry codes.
Required Training & Certifications
- Professional Engineering License
May require employee to rarely climb stairs or ladders if visiting a worksite to inspect / verify equipment and must be able to maintain balance on stairs or ladders without assistance.
Must be able to communicate and respond to coworkers, customers, vendors, suppliers and emergency cues/alarms, in person and on the telephone, including use of mobile devices
Must be able to rarely lift at least #5 pounds
May require eventual work in outdoor conditions, including extreme heat, extreme cold, non-air conditioned facility, snow, sandstorms, sun exposure, high elevation, tropic weather, etc.
May require work on loud environment
Must wear all required PPE, including fire-retardant clothing, helmets, face shields, hearing protection, safety goggles, steel-toed boots, as applicable.
Position may require travel 5 % of the time.
- Audio Equipments
- Business Development
- Chemical Engineering
- Claim Processing