Mott MacDonald’s Net Zero Carbon Advisory Team is growing rapidly, and we are delighted to be seeking highly motivated individuals to join our team of energy performance and carbon management professionals in our division.
Decarbonisation of our buildings and infrastructure is one of the biggest challenges of our generation and the role offers excellent career opportunities to help drive a fundamental shift in how we and our clients develop, and deliver, projects which prioritise whole life energy and carbon performance.
As part of a dedicated Net Zero Carbon Advisory Team, you will be joining industry specialists already supporting clients at the forefront of net zero carbon policy and delivery programmes, throughout Scotland, the UK and abroad. Existing work portfolios include building energy efficiency programmes, net zero technology innovation programmes and low to net zero carbon heat projects.
The role will be based in our Buildings and Infrastructure business unit, with offices located across the UK. You will work closely with wider technical, commercial and facilities management advisors, to deliver projects for developers, funders, local authorities, government departments and agencies and UK regulated asset owners and operators.
The role will also interface with the breadth of engineering and consultancy services across Mott MacDonald, including energy, industry, cities, education, cost consultancy and project management specialists, enabling a ‘whole system’ overview of net zero carbon futures.
You will be confident in contributing to technical analysis and report writing, with good communication skills, working closely with various project team members and liaising directly with clients, project sponsors and key project stakeholders.
The role will be providing Consultancy advice to strategic clients and will involve:
- Supporting in the development of technical solutions and strategies to help the Buildings and Infrastructure sector meet governmental and local ‘net zero carbon’ targets, focusing on both heat and power
- Understanding and communicating ‘net zero carbon’ policies to clients, in support of them setting their own ‘net zero carbon’ aspirations and developing action plans to meet defined outcomes
- Providing technical analysis and reporting on carbon reduction and energy efficiency opportunities within the built estates of our clients, including opportunities for low to net zero heat and power solutions (i.e. heat networks, localised renewable technologies and hydrogen futures)
- Carrying out energy modelling analysis and energy audits for a range of new and existing building projects. The role will have a focus on operational energy emissions reduction, but will require an understanding of ‘whole life’ carbon impacts of projects
- Interfacing net zero carbon advisory with wider buildings and infrastructure outcome needs, such as environmental parameters to achieve ‘healthy buildings’ and whole life cost effectiveness in operation
- Providing net zero technical advisory services under varying contractual models, from new build Design and Build projects to existing Public Private Partnership (PPP) contracts
- Carrying out due diligence of third party low carbon and net zero carbon project reports, drawings, specifications, energy analysis and cost models
- Ensuring the production of deliverables to agreed timelines and within budget
- Supporting business development related activities, identifying opportunities/prospects to allow us to prepare/position the team to produce winning proposals
- Supporting the development of client relationships to provide good prospects and repeat business
The role will include occasional travel to client locations throughout the UK, involving occasional overnight accommodation.
Candidate SpecificationCandidate SpecificationEssential candidate skills and qualifications include:
Desirable skills, qualifications and experience include;
- Qualified in a related technical subject (Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree)
- Knowledge and/or experience of at least some of the following:
- Building energy performance analysis
- District heating and heat networks
- Energy Performance Contracting
- Energy modelling i.e. IES, TAS, Sefaira
- Smartgrids and microgrids
- Energy storage
- Whole life cost and carbon modelling
- Policy development and/or research in to low and net zero carbon themes
- Public sector energy and carbon management
- Industrial energy performance optimisation
- Excellent communication skills and able to relate to others at all levels
- Ability of working in diverse multi-disciplined teams
- Well organised, with strong planning and management skills
- A range of report writing, and visual and verbal presentation techniques
- Willingness and patience to provide high levels of personal support to clients
- Ability to work well collaboratively, both internally and with external partners and sub-contractors
- Good analytical skills
- Sound knowledge and use of MS Office suite of software
- Awareness of the Technical Advisory market and services
- Master’s degree in a related subject
- Working towards membership of a related professional body
- Knowledge of project programming and scheduling software
- Experience in working on different building and infrastructure contract types
- Experience of wider sustainability accreditation schemes such as BREEAM, LEED and WELL
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we’re helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking.
As an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.