Position: Head of Technology & Innovation Division – Data Protection
Reports to: Head of NEOM Data Protection Administrator (the Information Commissioner)
Sector: NEOM Authority Technology and Innovation - Policy and Regulations
Job Location: Sharma, KSA
The NEOM Data Protection Administration (the DPA) upholds information rights across NEOM and covers several legislative areas, including the NEOM Data Protection Law and Data Protection Regulation. The DPA is within the NEOM Authority and is part of, and sponsored by, the Office of Infrastructure. The Division Head for Technology & Innovation will support and advise the DPA, reporting directly to the Administrator.
Following NEOM’s vision, the Division Head for Technology & Innovation will support the DPA in being a front-runner in the regulatory field of data protection, becoming the world’s most forward-looking, digitalised, and efficient DPA. In line with this vision, the Head of the Technology & Innovation Division should be innovative and effective, adopt a risk-based approach, explore and leverage the world’s most advanced technologies.
To invest in the DPA’s future success and enable a world-leading reputation, NEOM is looking for an outstanding technology leader, with a strong desire to play a leading role to keep the DPA at the forefront of regulatory best practice and innovative technologies. The Head of Division will ensure that the latest technology solutions and trends are reflected in the DPAs approach to maintaining the protection of personal data, decision-making and embedding trail-blazing processes.
To achieve this ambitious roadmap, the Head of Division will be required to:
- Drive and develop the function readiness and transition plan to develop a strong reputation as an enabler of innovation and front-runner on data protection and cognitive city innovations,
- Provide executive leadership and strategic direction for the NEOM Data Protection Authority (the DPA) with regards to “Technology & Innovation”,
- Be ultimately accountable for all responsibilities, powers and tasks conferred to the DPA by the NEOM Data Protection Law in the field of Technology.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & ACTIVITIES:
The Head of Division provides executive leadership and strategic direction for the “Technology and Innovation” Division of NEOM Data Protection Authority (the DPA) and is ultimately accountable for all responsibilities, powers and tasks conferred to this Division by the NEOM Data Protection Legislation.
Within the DPA, the Head of Division helps making decisions on the issues of strategic importance regarding technological advancement and innovative processes.
Considering the strategic value of data and the opportunities that lie in responsible data use, the Head of Division engages with innovators and entrepreneurs in order to drive growth across the NEOM economy.
- Proactively investigate and support (emerging) technologies in the market
- Create and facilitate advisory committees and bodies in the field of Innovation & Technology
- Develop regulatory sandboxes, policy prototyping and other co-regulatory tools as needed
- Launch and supervise Regulatory Pilots Procedure
- Support the development and application of emerging technologies in the field of personal data processing within the Regulation’s boundaries.
- Coordinate the development of platforms, technologies, tools and templates to help ensure compliance with NEOM data protection laws and regulations.
- Enter international exchanges relating to standards, certification and state of the art
- Establish and maintain international relations with other regulators’ Head of Technology and Innovation
- Coordinate the Innovation Sub-unit’s work and its professionals
- Connect with the operations of the other 4 sub-departments:
- Strategy, Policy, and Operations
BACKGROUND, SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
This is an exceptionally high-profile and demanding role. As such, the Head of “Technology and Innovation” Division must have the knowledge, experience and skills appropriate to the seniority and responsibilities of the role, including:
- TECHNOLOGICAL AND INNOVATION:
- Master’s degree in Technology and Innovation, Information Technology, Law, or relevant education,
- Preferred certification related to Data Privacy and Innovation (e.g., CIPT; MIT Innovation & Technology Professional Certificate Program; Harvard Data Privacy & Technology),
- Deep expertise on current and emerging technologies in international data protection, e.g., in AI and data science, biometric technologies, online tracking, surveillance technologies and privacy enhancing technologies,
- Strong technology acumen and their application in relation to high-risk processing,
Qualifications and Experience.
- 7+ years in a similar managing role,
- Extensive experience in delivering and managing technology projects, performing analyses and developing recommendations, with the ability to translate and communicate well with internal and external stakeholders,
- Experience working at the highest level of Data Protection/Privacy law & Technological challenges, policy and innovation within the EU, US, Asian, Canada, Australian or other jurisdictions with significant Data Protection/Privacy history,
- A successful track record of credible and strategic leadership and management skills, building and maintaining effective and efficient tech teams,
- Solid experience and understanding of building trusted relationships with relevant stakeholders from private and public sectors alike,
- The ability to support the DPA in making sound, independent judgements and decisions under pressure and, where necessary, defend these against internal and external challenges,
- Strong management skills, including the ability to help a dedicated team delivering under tight deadline,
- Demonstrated experience in policy creation and execution of targeted strategies.
- Free Accommodation.
- Free Laundry and housekeeping.
- Free transportation.
- 2 flights per month domestic round trip.
- 1 Annual Travel Allowance.
- Relocation Flight.
- Free Meals ( breakfast, lunch, dinner ).
- Schooling - 60K SAR per child up to 3 children.
- Bonus 20-30% annual (performance based).
- Savings Plan ( Long-term incentive plan ).
- Medical insurance ( VVIP health coverage), for Employee, Family & Parents.
- Annual Leave 30 working days annual.
- Remote Working 24 working days annual.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Processing
- Data Protection
- Data Science