You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Senior Structural Engineer
Because our people make the difference! What we do matters, both towards the safety of the environment and people as a whole. ABS and its affiliated companies are global leaders in marine and offshore classification and other innovative safety, quality, and environmental services focused on the marine, energy, and government sectors. With more than 5,000 employees, in over 70 countries, ABS and the ABS affiliated companies offer a dynamic work environment and multiple avenues for career growth.
Senior Structural Engineer
A professional-level position that provides training for assumption of management-level or technical consultant responsibility. The Principal Duties and Responsibilities (PDR) for this position are intended to permit the Senior 1 Level Engineer/Consultant to continue to develop technical skills while also developing skills in client communications, project management, and advancing the Company’s project responsibilities.
What You Will Do:
- Act in responsible charge, while directly performing assigned tasks in conformance with the Company’s quality standards and the project budget and schedule.
- Provide direction and oversight of Graduate and Project Levels assigned to assist in the execution of project responsibilities.
- Initiate and maintain communication with clients and contractors for purposes of technical co-ordination of project requirements.
- Prepare and submit time charge records, expense reports, invoice approvals, and collections status notices in a timely manner in accordance with Company procedures.
- Communicate the status of projects to the Department Manager.
- Interface with clients to define a scope of work and job tasks.
- Work directly with clients to identify and resolve problems in the area of technical expertise.
- Propose new approaches to problems encountered and make recommendations for changes in methods, procedures or designs.
- Perform as a team member or a project manager, consistent with skills and experience required for the project.
- Draft technically accurate and timely reports, responses to letters, faxes, and other forms of communication. Communication skills are continually developed - both written and oral.
- Review other engineers’ work and provide appropriate guidance and training when necessary.
- Ensure that work products are appropriately reviewed before delivery to client.
- Without additional supervision and using established procedures, work autonomously to perform work in accordance with the specific job description as well as other responsibilities as assigned.
- Plan and assign work as required, involving larger and more critical projects or multiple projects.
- Engage in the company performance appraisal system, assisting with the review of junior staff as appropriate.
What You Will Need:
Education and Experience
- BEng, MEng or MSc in an appropriate/relevant discipline (or recognized, appropriate equivalent) with a minimum 5 years’ experience working as a Project Engineer/Consultant.
- A valid right to work in the UK.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental Management Systems.
- Ability to utilise basic personal computer applications including spreadsheets, word processors, email, technical programs, and Internet browsers.
- Ability to communicate technical aspects of projects and of work assignments to peers, subordinates and clients.
- Ability to direct the execution of moderately complex engineering tasks, as appropriate.
- Knowledge of related technical disciplines.
- Ability to identify and efficiently analyse solutions to problems.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well in teams and with others.
- Possess and demonstrate a mastery of the comprehensive body of knowledge in their particular specialisation.
It Would Be Nice If You Had
- Chartered Engineer Certification or a demonstrated plan to achieve the qualification.
- Experience of design/analysis software preferable: STAAD, AutoCAD, Finite Element Analysis.
This position reports directly to Principal Level Engineer.
#LI-HybridWe set out more than 160 years ago to promote the security of life and property at sea and preserve the natural environment. Today, we remain true to our mission and continue to support organizations facing a rapidly evolving seascape of challenging regulations and new technologies. Through it all, we are anchored by a vision and mission that help our clients find clarity in uncertain times. ABS is a global leader in marine and offshore classification and other innovative safety, quality, and environmental services. We’re at the forefront of supporting the global energy transition at sea, the application of remote and autonomous marine systems, cutting-edge technical solutions, and many more exciting advancements. Our commitment to safety, reliability, and efficiency is ever-present, guiding our clients to safer and more efficient operations. Equal Opportunity The ABS Group of Companies is committed to the equal employment opportunity of its employees and prohibits discrimination against any employee or qualified applicant based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status, or other non-work-related characteristics that may be protected under the law of the Federal Government or specific state employment laws. Notice ABS and Affiliated Companies (ABS) will not pay a fee to any third-party agency without a valid ABS Master Service Agreement (MSA) authorized and signed by Human Resources. Any resume, CV, application, or other forms of candidate submission provided to any employee of ABS without a valid MSA on file will be considered property of ABS, and no fee will be paid. Other This job description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job of the incumbent. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements essential for making a fair decision regarding the pay structure of the job. #ogjsThe Senior Structural Engineer is responsible for performing a variety of professional level engineering tasks, including field surveys, analysis, calculation and report preparation. May act independently as the engineer/consultant in responsible charge of smaller projects and of portions of larger or complex projects. This position may be assigned to several projects concurrently, and on each project/assignment may report for technical direction to a different supervisor. Tasks are typically performed on an independent basis, though subject to independent technical reviews on an as-needed basis.These projects by nature of their complexity and difficulty require the fully competent application of conventional knowledge in a particular field. Independently evaluates, selects, and applies appropriate techniques, procedures, and criteria. Supervision of junior engineers working on the same projects.
- Auto Cad
- Environmental Management
- Finite Element Methods
- Problem Solving
Job ID: 248