Position: Revenue Director (Job Location in Sharma, NEOM)
Reports to: NEOM Authority Interim Chief of Staff
Sector: NEOM Authority Activation
Job Location: Sharma, NEOM
Oversee efforts to drive the readiness of all Authority Revenue Functions across 5 key Readiness Criteria, working closely with the Head of Authority Readiness & Cognitive Government to develop a transition plan for all functions to full End-state setup. Perform the role of regulator and operator during transition to end-state.
Oversee tax collection in NEOM and the enforcement of relevant tax laws. Lead efforts to educate the public on matters of tax laws while supervising the fulfilment of its mandate. Responsible for administering cash transfers and economic assistance in accordance with the Founding Laws.
Key Accountabilities & Activities:
- Tax and Revenue collection
- Social Security
- Taxpayer services and support
- Treasury *
- Develop an End-state operational model and future strategy for all Revenue functions
- Use global benchmarks to establish best practices, headcount, and operating models and design an innovation strategy in line with NEOM vision
- Ensure end-state operating model is fully lean, highly relying on automation and outsourcing while ensuring collaboration across the full government
- Drive Readiness of all Revenue functions across 5 Criteria:
i) Regulations & Policies
- Work with NEOM Legal on developing and finalizing Revenue Regulations, Policies and Standards
- Provide expert content and collaborate with other departments to address dependencies
ii) Regulators (People)
- Estimate headcount on lean core-staff, in-house and out-house
- Coordinate with HR and Governor’s Office to identify human resource needs for the Revenue functions, migrating internally, or hiring externally
- Develop Job descriptions, validated with experts.
iii) Operational Assets & Systems
- Identify and procure/implement assets and systems required to execute on the Revenue functions mandate (e.g. monitoring equipment, planning software
- Work closely with Cognitive Government to develop both interim and end-state systems to deliver Authority Revenue services, and interim phase inspections & compliance
iv) Protocols & Governance
- Develop the governance and processes for the internal operating model of functions, defining SOPs.
v) Stakeholder Interaction & Interface with Base Economy
- Identify areas where cooperation and agreements are needed to provide services in the interim period and identify segregation of duties for interim service delivery
- Identify Base Economy entities and develop processes to communicate and liaise with key points of contact in BE on Revenue activities and action
- Determine plan for transition from BE to Authority to remain compliant
3. Develop/Review and implement a transition plan to end-state for all Revenue functions
- Ensure there is a phased transition plan for each Revenue function to reach end-state model, using NEOM Vision principals: lean, efficient and tech-enabled
- Track and communicate progress
- Manage the budgets and finances related to Revenue Authority in coordination with NEOM Finance department
Revenue and Tax Collection
- Oversee tax collection and enforcement of tax laws in respect of excise tax and value added tax (VAT) laws
- Establish systems for the collection of tax, receive payments and enforce debt collection
- Oversee returns and tax processing, audits and investigations, collection and enforcement and dispute resolution and appeals
- Promote efforts to use advanced technology (e.g., Artificial Intelligence, Machine learning) to determine compliance
- Educate the public regarding the tax law and regulation
- Oversee account management, registration, and taxpayer services
- Serve as an advocate for taxpayers within the Department
- Define regulations and policies regarding local taxes
- Administer any cash transfers or other forms of economic assistance set forth in applicable law
- Responsible for departmental spending and NEOM authority pay, pensions and cash transfers
- Oversee review of spending efficiency and financial sustainability of NEOM
- Oversee NEOM’s overall debt to ensure reduced financing cost over the long-term
NEOM’s overall P&L and balance sheet *
- Own overall Profit & Loss and balance sheet for NEOM
- Oversee debt management and take required decisions and policies
- Manage deficit funding and debt raising when necessary
* Functions not required by Founding Law, but included as options to explore in the future
Background, Skills & Qualifications:
- +25 years of experience working in relevant public sector organizations (e.g., Ministry of finance, Tax regulators) or in private sector organization focused on tax and revenue management (e.g., top accounting and tax consultancy)
- 10 years of senior leadership experience working on government tax or tax policy within a public sector organization (e;g., minister, deputy minister) or a private company (e.g., CFO, Senior Partner)
- Likely previous employers: Governmental institutions focused on revenue or tax management (e.g., Department of tax, Ministry of finance); Private companies focused on tax management and accounting (e.g., PwC, EY, KPMG)
- Demonstrated knowledge and credibility in the sector through board positions, speaking engagements, teaching positions, international awards, or published papers
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge of:
- Public tax
- Private tax
- Tax law
- Accounting techniques
- Balance sheet
- Fiscal policy
- Public finance
- Advanced degree in accounting, tax law, economics, fiscal policy, finance or a related field
- Free Accommodation.
- Free Laundry and housekeeping.
- Free transportation.
- 2 flights per month domestic round trip.
- 1 Annual Travel Allowance.
- Relocation Flight.
- Free Meals ( breakfast, lunch, dinner ).
- Schooling - 60K SAR per child up to 3 children.
- Bonus 20-30% annual (performance based).
- Savings Plan ( Long-term incentive plan ).
- Medical insurance ( VVIP health coverage), for Employee, Family & Parents.
- Annual Leave 30 working days annual.
- Remote Working 24 working days annual.
- Social Security
- Public Finance