Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
The System Engineer will be responsible for performing the necessary engineering analysis, including the supporting calculations, for a specific system(s) in order to produce the system documentation required for the Hinkley Point C (HPC) project.
The System Engineer will act as the central point of contact for system(s) which fall(s) under their responsibility. This role is for a System Engineer specialising in Waste Treatment System design.
Responsible for system design and system integration into overall HPC design:
- Review and update the system documentation, describing the role and mission as well as formulating the mechanical, electrical, nuclear safety, and control logic requirements in compliance with the engineering rules, methodologies, quality processes, and tools
- Produce documentation for the mechanical and thermo-hydraulic design, operator instructions, human machine interface, safety and environmental case, control logic design, and commissioning as well as periodic testing
- Analysis and verification of input data, requirements, and lessons learnt from other stations
- Sizing of components e.g. pumps, pipework, pressure relief valves, tanks
- Perform thermal-hydraulic calculation and modelling with in house or commercial tools
- Formulate equipment specification and provide the data in respective database or data sheet
- Support to procurement team in formulation of technical specification for contract documentation
- Support to procurement team in technical surveillance of supplier documentation
- Ensuring the 3D model is consistent with the intended system design
- Engage proactively with all stakeholders around the system to ensure the delivery of a product meeting the requirements set by all disciplines (layout, civil, hazard, nuclear safety, environment, configuration management, procurement)
- Contribute to topics around good practises, innovation, improvement of processes, and quality o Participate in experience sharing activities within the discipline
- Engage positively with the customer when required
Management of modifications related to the system including:
- Managing requests for modifications to system(s) issued by various external parties
- Analysis and verification of the applicability of these modifications and challenging them as appropriate (support design stability strategy)
- Develop technical solutions and present them to internal parties or the client to help resolve technical issues
- Utilising the electronic tools in place for configuration management
Support to System Coordinator for relevant building:
- Reporting on maturity of the system (risks, open points, ongoing design changes, supplier feedback status)
- Support system or other discipline’s handovers to third parties keeping parts of the system documentation including equipment specifications and flow diagrams constantly up to date
- Liaising with other stakeholders through participation at kick off meetings, gate reviews etc. relevant to the system
SCW Group Leader as line manager and operationally to System Coordinator for the respective product.
Bristol based with potential trips to Paris (max twice per year).
- Ability to effectively manage own workload in order to produce high quality documents and respect deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels of a multi-national organisation
- Ability to communicate briefly and precisely, both written and orally
- Proactive and confident in communicating with others, particularly those based in remote offices including France and Germany
- Proactive in developing positive working relations with others within the project
- Continuously looking for opportunities to improve quality of engineering studies and the subsequent documentation produced
Note1: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities & activities that the job holder may be required to undertake
Note2: Based on our Client office Monday to Friday – 40 hours per week
Note3: Travel and Subsistence is not paid for this role
Note4: Service Incentive - on completion of 12-month continuous service in post – there is a salary uplift of 5% paid
Note5: Please provide travel plan to Bristol to undertake this role / salary expectation / current notice period on Cover Letter with this application
- Mechanical or Process Engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- Knowledge of system design, thermal-hydraulic calculation and modelling
- Working knowledge of fluid mechanics
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team as well as on own initiative
- Results focused with the ability to meet commitments & deadlines
- Highly organised with attention to detail
- Ability to identify continuous improvements
- Fluent in English – written & verbal
- Knowledge of EPR design principles and Safety Classification
- Knowledge of PWR or AGR power station and systems design
- Experience of performing system design work for nuclear facilities
- Knowledge of Instrumentation and Control design
- Understanding of Safety Case construction and Nuclear Safety requirements placed on systems
- Experience of working on an operating plant or on an industrial site
- Experience in previous nuclear projects
- Experience of working in a fast pace engineering project environment
- French language skills – written & verbal – ability to create technical documents
- BPSS level clearance required
Accepting Candidates: Engineer
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.